HID-18 vs HID-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericfine50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
well Speedster. you asked for a thread about the differences. :)

I have the 18 watt head from EE and I think it kicks butt. I a cave it lights the heck out of the passages and penitrates well. In NE water, it does a great job of going through the silt. I have dove with a guy that had the old style EE 10 watt and side by side not a huge difference on land, but UW the 18 seemed to have more pop.

Eric

This has been my experience also. The 18 provides a good deal more light but its really only noticable in a very dark environment. Outside a wreck I can't tell much difference, inside it really does show.

Both the 10W and 18W are perfectly adaquate for penetration, both provide the "light sabre" effect, the 18 reaches farther and is just overall brighter.

The biggest difference I found since switching is that the new NIMH cannister is considerably easier to deal with both in and out of the water due to small diameter.

I do miss the easy focus of the new style 10W head though. I hope Halcyon will work this design into an 18W head soon.

Tom

Thanks for answering and starting the thread, I am hoping to get some more input from others, but your 2 replies seem to have covered it pretty well. Has anyone ever complaied that the light was too bright in the wreck? My local underwater explorer club says that the 18 just blinds everyone, and recommends the 10. Sounded good to me at the time, less $$, but now I'm thinking otherwise. If you had your choice (Tom, I think we already know what you would do) would you get an old 10 (for cheap), the new 10, the 18, or wait for the new 18? I'm only interested in the head, not the cannister. What do you guys think?

mike

P.S. I'm currently using a 50w halogen.

I still love the 18. Team up an 18 with some 10s and you got yourself an awsome team. Makes any night dive into a daylight dive.

Eric

The only way the 18 blinds anyone is if it gets shined in your eyes, in which case the 10 will do the same thing. I see no reason to not have the brightest light available.

It is generally recommended that all team members have as close to equal lights as is possible.

Tom

now comes the harder question: Do you put the Bolt Snap on the Left or Right side of the Goodman?

Eric

ericfine50 once bubbled...
now comes the harder question: Do you put the Bolt Snap on the Left or Right side of the Goodman?

Eric

I use 2 snaps, one on the right side of the Goodman, another on the connector aft of the ballast. This second snap lets me hang the head on my chest d-ring without it getting in my eyes at night and facilitates reading tables, guages, etc hands-free.

If the light is off I use the snap on the Goodman as its easier to attach.

Both snaps are tied on with cave line as are all my snaps.

Tom

interesting. I am currently using one snap on the Right side. Will play with the 2 snap idea.

Eric

ericfine50 once bubbled...
interesting. I am currently using one snap on the Right side. Will play with the 2 snap idea.

Eric

I got it from G3. It works well.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom