Hi! New diver from Scandinavia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ConfusedTrout

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all!

I am a new diver, currently living in Scandinavia. I did a test dive in Cuba back in the day, and just last week I finished my OWD certification with SSI :) . As it is pretty cold here, I did it with a dry suit. Because of the dry suit we must complete 2 additional dives, so my extensive experience is... 7 dives. I plan on keep on diving, in southern Europe and the Caribbean, but I am very new and I have a lot of questions!

Rock on. There's decent diving around here as well, even wetsuit weather during summer (at least here in southern Sweden).

Welcome. Your location brings up an interesting question. Locality is often a big factor in determining dive destinations. Looks like you're closer to the Red Sea than the Caribbean (and the impression I got from other discussions is the Red Sea diving is considered superior), yet you mentioned going to Cuba, and you plan to dive in the Caribbean.

Is the Caribbean the main warm water dive destination choice for Scandinavian-based divers? I would've thought the Red Sea, but I've never visited where you are.

Is the Caribbean the main warm water dive destination choice for Scandinavian-based divers? I would've thought the Red Sea, but I've never visited where you are.

Frankly, I have no idea! I am a native Spanish speaker, so I gravitate towards Latin America/Spain/Italy. My guess is that many Scandinavians dive in southern Europe / Northern Africa simply because it is closer and cheaper.

Rock on. There's decent diving around here as well, even wetsuit weather during summer (at least here in southern Sweden).

That's great to hear! I am in Norway. I am completely open to wet suit diving recommendations around Scandinavia :D

The Red Sea is indeed the main thing here for vacation divers. It's very common to do trips there. Caribbean is much trickier logistically and, I think, much less frequent a dive destination.

That's great to hear! I am in Norway. I am completely open to wet suit diving recommendations around Scandinavia :D

We have quite a few Norwegian divers here on Scubaboard. Welcome!

Welcome also from me :)

As soon as I get my new VW Bus Camper next year I want to make a 5 week road trip in Sweden, Norway and Denmark with my family and a little diving. :)

With us it is also very cold in winter, I have two years of wet diving and I don't want to give away my dry suit anymore :)

Greetings from Switzerland
Pareto

Welcome to Scubaboard! Let us know about your future diving exploits, please.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom