Hi from Seattle Wondering about the diving world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buckman15

New
Reaction score
So i am very new to the diving world and before i go and get a $17,000 loan for DIT i was wondering if there was any jobs locally around here that i wouldent have to travel everywhere to go to work. or find a place to settle down while still working as a diver. Also what are u guys making a year and do u love ur job? I love the water and love snorkling and stuff so im just trying to get some info before i spend all the money i have.

Welcome buckman.Commercial diving is a tough business to break into & yes,if you really want to make some $$$ you ARE going to have to travel the world!You need to start out as a tender & work your way into a diver slot.There's a LOT of competition for the openings that do come up.Also comm.diving isn't like rec.diving.The water is almost always VERY cold & vis is usually zero or worse.A commercial diver is really nothing more than a heavy construction worker that happens to work underwater.
My suggestion is to get your SCUBA Cert.& your basic gear.Start diving recreationally.See if you can't get an internship at one of the local dive shops & learn the rec.industry.Take a welding course at the community college.Get some experience diving & welding & then decide if you still want to go commercial.Sounds like your young so you have a little time to decide.Good luck...

yes im only 18 but im not wanting to sit around the house for the rest of my life nor do i want to go to college and take a bunch of pointless classes. thats why i was ganna go to a tech school and i love the water so much and btw i swim a frezzing a** river so i wouldent think the cold would be to bad but then again caint talk to much because havent swam to much in the atlantic ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom