Hi from Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I applaud any attempt to address the serious problem at depths we can not easily service personally.

I too would like to see the lionfish (my phone keeps changing that word to long fish :shakehead: ) harvested for sale or consumption, but even shredding the pests that we cannot reach, to feed others in the food chain works for me if it helps reduce their numbers significantly.

The workings of a catch and kill robot would be easier to use then trying to get the lionfish in a catch bag and then bring it to the surface.. You suck them in one end and send fish food out the other end.. you could kill hundreds on a single dive..
Or..
A self-control robot that is dropped on the ocean floor and uses a photo ID to kill every lionfish that gets near it..

Jim..

Please check out this film made by Bonaire Deep Reef Exploration at 400 feet with a submarine from Substation Curacao. Plenty of Lionfish to hunt for.

Please check out this film made by Bonaire Deep Reef Exploration at 400 feet with a submarine from Substation Curacao. Plenty of Lionfish to hunt for.

I had read that lionfish have been found down past 500 feet, but that video really demonstrates that we are not going to be able to solve the entire lionfish problem solely on scuba. We can help the upper areas of the reef, but until we can effectively deal with the problem at serious depth, we are only applying bandaids.

Also quite evident from the reaction of the mature lionfish in that video, they have encountered no predators at those depths, and show no fear.

Last edited:
Hi Ram04769, you definitely must come over to see Bonaire. The divespots are incredible and what I most like is the easiness of shore diving. There are 63 dive sites to explore and underwater life is fantastic.
It all sounds perfect! Jim was telling me a little about it. He and I have been talking about getting together to do some local diving. But yes, I do want to make it down your way sometime and I will definitely get in touch.

Back
Top Bottom