Hi all!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SunMari

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum as well as to the sport. I'm a Fl. local and native. My hubby and I are planning our Open Water Diver Certification through an SSI dealer in Key West appropriately named Dive Key West in the middle of July, right before mini lobster season. Just wanted to say hello, being that I don't know anyone and saw lots of you are Fl. locals as well. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions, first one being: Has anyone heard of Dive Key West, any experiences Good/Bad? Here is a link to their web site:

http://www.divekeywest.com

SunMari:
I'm new to the forum as well as to the sport. I'm a Fl. local and native. My hubby and I are planning our Open Water Diver Certification through an SSI dealer in Key West appropriately named Dive Key West in the middle of July, right before mini lobster season. Just wanted to say hello, being that I don't know anyone and saw lots of you are Fl. locals as well. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions, first one being: Has anyone heard of Dive Key West, any experiences Good/Bad? Here is a link to their web site:

http://www.divekeywest.com

Sorry, have not dove with them. When in Key West, I dive with Bonsai divers. The owner is a great guy, super laid back and unbelievably accomodating. He offers the best personal attention I have had anywhere. Last time I was scheduled with him, I developed a severe sinus infection and had to stay home. I called and arranged for my 70+ year old father to go out with him (I was to have met him there.) While being an excellent diver, my dad has developed limited mobility issues over the past few years making it very hard for him to get back on the boat. The owner at Bonsai (I think his name is Pete) assured me he would take good care of my Dad, having assisted para-plegics on and off his boat before. Dad came back so jazzed from the trip - he couldn't have been happier.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Hiya SunMari! Welcome aboard and welcome to diving!! Hope to catch a dive with ya'll after your certified! Good luck and have fun with it!! :)

Be careful around the opening of mini season. It's amazing how crowded and crazy that place can get over a bug.

You've found a great group of divers. I'm new to the group and the area (a transplant from Charlotte, NC to Hollywood, FL), and I already feel like an old-timer.

You and your hubby should join us at OceanFest in Ft. Lauderdale this weekend. Quite a few of us are planning to go, and its a good way to learn about diving, equiment, and the club.

One good thing about this group is that, though most of the divers are too humble to admit it, there are some really experienced folks who can help you ease through the learning curve pretty quickly. Not too many cowboys here, but plenty of mentors.

BTW, we get together on almost every weekend, usually on the beaches between Pompano and Hollywood. Most of these can be either dived or snorkeled, so you guys are welcome to join us for a little low-cost, low stress exploration. Just watch the Private Trips folder for posts.

Again, welcome to the group,
Grier

I just looked for Dive Key West on www.undercurrent.org. In case you haven't discovered it yet, Undercurrent is a nice little candid newsletter that gives the behind-the-scenes gossip on equipment, travel and other controversial aspects of diving. They don't accept advertising, and seem to be a pretty reliable source of information.

Dive Key West was reviewed there twice in 2001, and got good reviews both times. My wife and I did our AOW in Key West with SouthPoint Divers, and have only good things to say about the experience.

Hope that helps,
Grier

SunMari:
I'm new .... in Key West appropriately named Dive Key West in the middle of July, right before mini lobster season.

Welcome to a lot of fun.

Why wait until July? You are missing out on a big part of this season. You also have limited time to get some experince dives in to get more comfortable underwater for your lobster hunting. It is not as easy as it looks and 10-20 dives experince before you go hunting will make for a much more successful hunting trip.

Why Key West? The diving outside Miami and Ft. Lauderdale is as good if not better than the Keys. And if you'd take the course up here you save $$, $489pp is quite expensive, up here you can get it from $189pp. (Haven't checked all the details though but still). Shop around at home and save on the course spend some money go diving instead.
--A

Welcome to Diving and to SB. Not to advertise (despite being PADI certified), but PADI is now running a special, whereby you pay $299.00 and two people learn to dive for the price of one, unless you're set on an SSI certification. That should be good at any PADI dive center, although fldivenut is right, the diving in the Tri-county area is as good, if not better than in Key West.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom