Hey drysuit divers: Do you use your exhaust valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bcsean:
Dynamic instability sucks.

So get properly weighted. On a single setup there is absolutely no need to rely on the BC for buoyancy - the suit can more than cope with the small amount of air needed. Problems only happen if the person is over weighted.

It depends. I usually leave the valve completely open, but I've sometimes closed it all the way when I was really cold and I wanted to keep some more air in my suit. As long as you're paying attention, no worries.

I dive with the valve closed unless I'm making an ascent, then I tend to have it ~half open and let the variable pressure dump do the work for me, I only have it fully open in the last 5m or if a serious problem occurs at depth.

I only use the BCD for surface buoyancy and to stop my tank from wandering away! The suit's great for buoyancy control, it takes more practice than a BCD, but get it right and it'll hold you in a great position in the water. While you're training I'd stick with what you're doing now, when you get more used to the suit take some time to play around (safely) with it and find the way that you like best. Like any motor skill, practice it enough and opening and closing the valve will become an instinctive action.

Welcome to the world of cold water diving!

String:
So get properly weighted. On a single setup there is absolutely no need to rely on the BC for buoyancy - the suit can more than cope with the small amount of air needed. Problems only happen if the person is over weighted.

Well my steel 120's even when they were singles have a 10lb buoyancy shift from full to empty, so I'd rather not put enough air to equalize that in my suit. I'm not arguing the suit can cope with it, but I prefer diving my suit snug and having the air stay where it should (on my back). Plus, diving twins now, there is even more buoyancy shift and there is no way I'd use my suit for buoyancy control.

Twins is fair enough, theres too much weight there for the suit to cope. Im quite happy with my 15l steel (whatever that is) using just suit for buoyancy although with my other suit i just prefer using the BC.

On a properly single setup you have several options for buoyancy so pick which ever youre happy with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom