Heretical thoughts on the diver's medical form

AFTER reading the OP please vote your feelings.

• The current medical form(s) are fine AND I am scrupulously honest on them.

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • I am likely to be more honest / complete with a form such as suggested.

Votes: 28 38.4%
  • I am unlikely to change any answer regardless of how the form is constructed.

Votes: 36 49.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not just have them sign a generic release form? Here you go:

Diving can kill or injure you. If you die or are in any way injured by your free choice to come diving with us, that is all on you. We have no obligation to prevent you from being injured or killed and no obligations to pay for anything or do anything if you happen to be injured or killed today.
That form also exists. It is a liability waiver, and you need to sign it before classes or any dive using a commercial operator. As I mentioned before, they have been challenged successfully in the past because of the idea of informed consent.

Coins aren't trained, neither do they lie.

Some people die. Some people dive. With both groups being sufficiently large, the intersection of them is going to be a non-empty set no matter what any individual diver ticks on their medical form.

Some people die. Some people dive. With both groups being sufficiently large, the intersection of them is going to be a non-empty set no matter what ...//...
At 71 years of age, I've seen several 'frame changes' in US conventional wisdom/knowledge/personal and social sensitivities. I believe that we are in a new nadir. I predict that the upswing will be a de novo awareness of personal responsibility for one's food/safety/health/freedom. Obviously, the internet (global intelligence) is responsible for this.

My GP and I are totally cool with me researching my own health issues. We share info freely. A lifetime ago, one would NEVER question a doctor. That killed my dear grandmother. I benefit from the newthink.

I have little/no use for lawyers when it comes to overblown emotional 'right fighting' issues. Yes, they have their place as agents of change. They also chase the money...

Apologies, all. I belabor Tigger's OP as it speaks directly to my condition. I dive solo for many unspoken reasons. Maybe, next dive, I'll sign a release and show a copy to the NJ bottom feeders.

But the best would be to find yourself a place like this with no one for miles and go diving

View attachment 661018

Now that's diving

Remember to be responsible
You mean like Nova Scotia but warm?
Well hey, no "No Parking", no "Anything" signs here, it ain't NY, NJ or Connecticut!

Just so we're all on the same page, the form did change last year: Recreational Diving Medical Screening System - Undersea & Hyperbaric Medical Society

Now most questions are in 2 parts, with follow-up questions after the initial 'Yes'. It also includes COVID19. I am not sure if this makes the form better, worse or about the same.
I think it makes it far worse. Most trips require a negative PCR result within 3 days of a trip. How does one answer the question have you been diagnosed with Covid 19 if they previously tested negative to a PCR test but a serological test shows they are IgM negative and IgG positive. In other words, they are not currently positive for Covid 19 and have never been "diagnosed" as the form states, yet they have antibodies against it. All that matters is whether or not one is currently carrying the virus.

The trip requirement for screening of travelers with negative PCR is to reduce the chance of a traveler infecting others. The medical form for screening is to reduce the chance of a medical event hastening to the diver themselves as related to prior infection during a dive. Two related but separate things.

There is no reason to have a Covid diagnosis on the medical form

Back
Top Bottom