Heretical thoughts on the diver's medical form

AFTER reading the OP please vote your feelings.

• The current medical form(s) are fine AND I am scrupulously honest on them.

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • I am likely to be more honest / complete with a form such as suggested.

Votes: 28 38.4%
  • I am unlikely to change any answer regardless of how the form is constructed.

Votes: 36 49.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raftingtigger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm posting this in the Basic forum since it applies to all divers, and needs to be understandable to all divers. If it is better in the Medicine section, then it can get moved.

The current diver's medical form - or more precisely - the physician sign off, isn't worth the paper it is signed on. I'm a very experienced diver, and a medical professional, that is asked to sign these forms occasionally. In my case it is apparently healthy divers whose primary physician that can no longer sign them (ie. Kaiser, they will no longer sign any physicals) . So I have to take the diver's word for everything. All I get to do is see the obvious. In my own case I have prior issues that are not progressive and have been fully cleared. If I mention them, even though they have no effect and are more than 30 years past, I have to go find a provider to sign the form (I can no longer have my PCP do it - I'm covered by Kaiser). There is a LOT of incentive for divers to be less than forthcoming on these forms, so unless the signer really knows the diver, they are worthless.

This isn't to say that medical fitness to dive isn't important - it IS REALLY important. We need to change from a required medical sign off (which is only required if the diver has either clear medical issues OR is totally honest on the form) to self-regulation with adequate and understandable information so that the diver will seek evaluation by the appropriate level of medical provider if there are issues. This will take the onus off the dive operator and put it where it belongs - on the diver themselves.

A very rough draft of what I'm envisioning could look like this:

Cardiovascular: After carefully reading the information below I have
O No known cardiovascular issues that will impact my diving
O I have cardiovascular issues and have addressed them with a medical provider and I need the following precautions:_________________________________________________________________
Blurb on cardiovascular fitness and diving and a layman's explanation of what is fit enough. An example could be the diver can climb X flights of stairs without resting.

Do this for all the important body systems.

Have one for Covid-19. This is a critical issue. Young, previously healthy, and no longer (or never) symptomatic divers can still have damage that could cause problems with the pressure changes. This needs a strong discussion here.

Have a section on short-term issues ('colds', 'allergies', fatigue, etc)

Finish it off with a signed statement that the diver has had an opportunity to discuss any medical issues with a diving medical provider and self-certifies that they are medically fit to undertake the dives with the above listed precautions.

The dive operator is much more likely to get useful medical information this way. If someone is clearly unfit, the operator can still decline to take them.

I have added a poll. Please vote, but DO NOT consider whether you think the dive industry would use a new form or not.

Good luck, great thought. I'm also an experienced diver and a physician. I don't see the RSTC medical clearance form changing. I've not required medical clearance since my last training, 2013 Solo, 2005 Rescue.

I have to lie on mine too. My PCP doesnt want to sign them either and its silly to disclose "disqualifying" conditions from 20 years ago that have long since resolved or been medically cleared for "full activity". Regurgitating medical history merely to generate a signature signing exercise given that nobody is willing to accept liability for anything anymore. I am not at significantly elevated risks compared to anyone else on the boat or in the class.

OP's way of doing it probably would be better. The forms are stupid and annoying.

However, if you lie on the form then you die and your family sues the operator, it will come out in court that you lied on the form and therefor it's not the operator's fault so the stupid form has served its purpose perfectly.

I know some international operators require a medical form outside of training. Who has needed a medical form, other than for training, and where was it?
It is a requirement in Spain and on U.K. club dives. I get to check club divers electronically. Now those forms include having had Covid etc. Oli Firth is everyones’s best mate.

The U.K. forms are either self certification or a proper dive doctor. You can’t have some random general practitioner sign them.

I like the idea but agree that something like this is unlikely to happen. Probably because of dive ops understandably liking the current form(s) for whatever liability reasons.
Maybe if the suggested form becomes the norm it may deter some from answering "no" to everything just so they don't have to see a doctor. Or it also may deter instructors/shops from explaining what even one "yes" means they have to do-- with that wink of an eye....

Just so we're all on the same page, the form did change last year: Recreational Diving Medical Screening System - Undersea & Hyperbaric Medical Society

Now most questions are in 2 parts, with follow-up questions after the initial 'Yes'. It also includes COVID19. I am not sure if this makes the form better, worse or about the same.
For me this would be a vast improvement vs the PADI form. I could attest to this truthfully and not get kicked into needing a physician to sign off on (eg back surgery 20 years ago). Or on some forms just being 45+yo is an immediate red flag (dumb).

I have never seen anyone using this form however

For me this would be a vast improvement vs the PADI form. I could attest to this truthfully and not get kicked into needing a physician to sign off on (eg back surgery 20 years ago). Or on some forms just being 45+yo is an immediate red flag (dumb).

I have never seen anyone using this form however
That is the current PADI form as of last year. The version hosted on PADI.com is from July 2020 rather than Jan 2021, but I assume it's just lagging behind slightly? Here you can see it on PADI's website: https://www.padi.com/sites/default/files/documents/2020-12/10346E_Diver Medical_Form.pdf_.pdf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom