Here's a mad idea.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Penopolypants:
Huh, that's an interesting use.

The last time I drove to a different dive site, I took off my dry suit and drove there in my undergarment to keep my car dry. I got a few interesting stares myself when stopped to get gas. Even in Seattle you don't see too many women pumping gas in black and lime green puffy one piece zip up thingy. :)

Was that an Exotherm or a DUI Pickle suit?

bradshsi:
Of course you need to have the shower available but at places like Sund Rock it works perfectly.

Didn't it tend to leak out in the car on the way back over to the site from the shop.. it's gotta take like 3 minutes by car to get back I'd think?

As someone indicated above, evaporative cooling is a real problem with a neoprene suit. At a minimum, you want a windproof and waterproof rain suit over the top. In this application a high end fabric that is waterproof but breathes is a bad idea as you want to hold the water in and prevent it from evaporating. So cheaper is definitley better.

I have toyed with the idea of getting two relatively cheap plastic or nylon rainsuits ,one a size larger than the other, and then heat sealing them together with a layer of poly insulation in the middle - at least in the leg and torso area.

waynne fowler:
Didn't it tend to leak out in the car on the way back over to the site from the shop.. it's gotta take like 3 minutes by car to get back I'd think?

I'd agree that it takes about 3 minutes or so from Hoodsport and I wouldn't want try it in a car with cloth seat covers...

But with my setup (single piece wetsuit with the ankle openings sealing over my booties), surprisingly little drains out. I guess it's a truism that fit is everything with wetsuits.

Plus the shower has heated up both your bodies exterior and the wetsuit material, so at the very least it removes the need to use core body warmth to reheat your wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom