Here's a mad idea.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
The problem of diving a wetsuit in the winter is often not the temperature of the water, but the outside temperature at the surface during an SI for instance.

So how about putting on something like this straight over your wetsuit:
http://www.sailgb.com/p/emergency_survival_suit/

Would it help? :D

jonix:
you'll look like a safety sausage :D
I don't care what I'd look like.....would I be warm?
This is only one example of a survival suit but I just looked on Ebay and there are more - probably made from heavier material. One I saw was ex-Royal Navy - standard issue for shipboard personnel - to be worn over your ordinairy clothes. The thing is....would putting it on over your wetsuit keep you warm between dives?

Uh, you'd have to cut holes for you hands. Or just get really good at poking people long enough to annoy them into doing your bidding.

It would block the wind, which would help keep you warm.

Yes, and you can also try raincoats, they come in the brilliant yellowcolor that would make you look NOT like a safety sausage:D, and I suggest you put a few extra layers for the wear and tear thing.

Kim:
Actually now I'm looking at this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Royal-Navy-Surv...ryZ73075QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What do you think....am I mad?

Bonkers, but when has that stopped any diver?

Hm, it has wrist seals, so no poking! Now you're just taking the fun out of it! :)

If you're thinking of bidding on that particular one, and assuming that you could fix/wanted to fix the wrist seal yourself, it would be a fairly cheap and interesting experiment.

If you do buy it, please send pictures and reports. I am curious as to how well the thermoreflective lining would trap heat. To clarify, please send pics of people staring at you during your SI as well. :D

It could also double as an interesting costume for parties.

I've tried something similar on a winters day.
Instead of changing into warmer clothes after the dive I put a windproof overall to go to the next divesite.
It did keep the car dry but 20 minutes into the 2nd dive I was already feeling cold.

Penopolypants:
Bonkers, but when has that stopped any diver?

Hm, it has wrist seals, so no poking! Now you're just taking the fun out of it! :)

If you're thinking of bidding on that particular one, and assuming that you could fix/wanted to fix the wrist seal yourself, it would be a fairly cheap and interesting experiment.

If you do buy it, please send pictures and reports. I am curious as to how well the thermoreflective lining would trap heat. To clarify, please send pics of people staring at you during your SI as well. :D

It could also double as an interesting costume for parties.
Well I bid on it. I am currently the highest bidder with US$7 :D
I don't really know how important the wrist seal would be as I don't intend to use it in the water. Presumably though I could fix it with a patch and a bit of glue or something. I agree - it's well worth the experiment.
The thing is in Japan, the water doesn't really get too cold - never less than 50F. The air temperature can be less though with the wind chill as well. If I win it'll cost maybe 3 times more to ship it here! :D
In any event - if it doesn't work for it's intended purpose I'm sure I can find some other use for it. If it DOES work - it could allow me to dive all winter without having to buy a full drysuit! :D

El Orans:
I've tried something similar on a winters day.
Instead of changing into warmer clothes after the dive I put a windproof overall to go to the next divesite.
It did keep the car dry but 20 minutes into the 2nd dive I was already feeling cold.
How thick was your wetsuit? How cold was the water? Don't you think that an actual survival suit might work better than just windbreaker material?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom