Here'a a interesting question???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a good reason you wear that hat.

I made some of those statements and I completely concur with what you have said - I'm not even on the DIR list because I can't stand the internal bikkering that seems to be always going on...

I think what I was getting at was the desire to improve your skills, this was made very obvious when I dove with seasoned instructors and they all kicked the silt up like there was no tomorrow...
Just prior to that, while suiting up, one of them looked at my long hose and said "you're one of those DIR guys aren't you?!"
I understand the comment, but I am starting to think that there may be a difference between east coast and west coast DIR - in attitude, becasue I have sure not met anyone out here who has bashed others the way I have seen it on the east coast - it's like there is more of a desire to dive safely and have fun here...
This is what I was thinking of when I said that I wish I would have been trained DIR from the getgo as well...

I don't really care who I dive with myself - as long as people are willing to say "I want to learn more" and I have yet to meet anyone who didn't...

Anyway - Thanks for the pointers - they are well taken.

Big T

I think alot of people stay away from tech because the egos. I know personally when i hear someone say they are DIR annoys me because to say your "Doing It Right" implys that everyone else is doing it wrong which is insulting to say the least, and the prime example of a ego if i ever saw one.:doctor:

Originally posted by rstone
I know personally when i hear someone say they are DIR annoys me because to say your "Doing It Right" implys that everyone else is doing it wrong which is insulting to say the least, and the prime example of a ego if i ever saw one.:doctor:

So an ego (George) coined a phrase and now you're projecting that ego onto anyone who supports the methodology. You reinforce my point about prejudice nicely.

Not to say their aren’t egos in technical diving, there some huge ones out there, but to paint anyone who claims to be DIR with such a broad brush is wrong.

Roak

I was just stating what turns me off from DIR.. and id be willing to bet money that if you looked at the dive industry as a whole.. the people with the biggest egos r tech divers.

The DIR crowd has loose affliation with the TECH crowd why I believe it has to be the numbers, but after reading a DIR webpage it was started by the Tech crowd. I can't tell you a single person I know that is a Tech diver. I know there are a few on this board, but personally none.

TECH by my definiton is a specialized group of extreme divers out of the realm or normal recreational diving.

I never heard of DIR until just recently, because as was previously mentioned if they are "doing it right" that means I am WRONG. I will hang my neck out and say the DIR crowd has the same safety record as the doing it wrong crowd. The only death that I have knowledge of is of TECH divers. So if I was to make the leap of logic DIR wasn't of much help to these divers. ( I will do some research and see if the diver was associated with DIR). If so will make the point for me.

Have Kevlar reinforced table to hide under

I also think that a longer training period should be required

DIR is a philosophy - NOT some large organization of anal retentive divers. It is a philosophy! There are many divers who share this philosophy - some are nice folks (like me) others are *******s. One will find that this holds true in most communities of people.

roakey and friends,

I could be wrong, but it looks to me that you missed the real guts to KN's whole point. Instead you played right into the "Dark Side" so many experience and that KN was hinting to... Instead you went out of your way to stick your foot in your mouth. Maybe instead of [red]ATTACKING[/red], some listening and understanding would be in order.

Or you could all continue doing your Macho Dog Pile's and Chest bumps and congrats'ing to each other and go right on ignoring what I thought, as MD put it, a rather heart felt effort into "Fixing" the Problem. But instead, all your replies indicate you would rather "Pass the Buck" and "Point the Finger". Your post went from Acting as if "DIR may have some responsibility for this disgraceful type of behavior", to pointing the finger at every other diver out there and calling them all bigots and you wonder why there is heated attitude when these things are discussed?!?!

When I re-read your post (multiple times) - paying close attention to the tone, meaning, wording and style you used as your post went on you only seemed to convince YOURSELF of this supposed revelation. And rather convincingly too I might add.

Instead of stopping and thinking before posting (as opposed to thinking on the fly and just typing it out as it came to you) you insisted on being rude, condescending, demeaning and arrogant. For someone that claims they aren't a GI3 clone you sure jumped up and blurted out the lines like someone bidding for the "GI3 Poster Boy" of the year award. How do I derive all that? Well, lets just say it is my job ... I study people and teach people to study people for a living. Without too much detail, I will just say that one word that has been used to describe what I do is a "Profiler".

The first hint in KN's post is the way he goes on and on and stresses so many "Q's", being careful to each time encompass a little bit more of a complete picture. I thought it was obvious he wasn't referring to any one person, which is where you start right off placing all the blame. but then you continue on to slap the blame on every other diver out there except right where it needed to be pointed. I find it interesting that under KN's signature he imparts a classic bit-o-wisdom that is not only worth repeating it is one that every person should strive to remember, thus improving them self.
[sm]- When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine your own self.[/sm]

Personally I am quite taken back by the insight and generosity that KN (and many others here) display, but I especially like the calm, cool and collected manner in which KN conducts himself. It is refreshing to see someone with this level of knowledge and maturity not have a problem with taking the time out of their life to provide something nice for everyone else, and be willing to share their knowledge and experience with everyone without having to jump up on every soap box they can find just to beat their chest and tell everyone how great they are or how much better they are.

I suspect KN did not reply or continue on with this thread because it began to look as if it was obvious that no one really seemed to cared about much more than reasserting their superiority and justifying their own faults while passing the blame on to any and everyone else but them or what they stood for. If this is the case I really hope you will reconsider KN! I for one enjoy reading your post and am quite interested in what you have to say regarding these issues. I hope I don't place you on the spot to much here but I also just wanted to mention one other little thing.

I just thought I would inform you that these forums are having a reach beyond the Diving Community. On more than one occasion I have assigned to my students the task of studying or writing a report on some of the conversations and methods of approach that are displayed during those conversations. You are quickly becoming one of their favorite topics to study aka "Profile".

So by all means please continue KN, I'm listening.

I agree...with somebody...

Joewr

I'm a little late arriving on this thread.....

Hey WD -- not all east coast divers interested in DIR bite... and we actually like to have fun too ;-)

Some great posts on this thread. The DIR topic never fails to stir things up. It's too bad that the first impression some folks have of DIR is so negative.

I agree that the name itself is rather presumptuous. If you arrive on the scene trumpeting that 98% of the industry is DIW, some feathers are going to be ruffled.

That being said -- I would urge folks not to walk away from DIR just because some of these guys have bad manners. And don't generalize by saying that all DIR practitioners are jerks.... it just ain't so.

I feel lucky -- I have met several divers here in New England who are DIR practitioners. Without exception, these guys have been EXTREMELY patient and helpful in answering all of my "stupid newbie" DIR questions (and there have been a lot of them). They have gone diving with me, and have even let me borrow their gear to try out. All have been reasonable in their approach to DIR. They don't take everything the DIR philosophy says as "gospel". They understand that not everyone is willing to immediately sell all their old gear on EBay in favor of a new Halcyon set-up and they remember when they were in the same situation. And they themselves use gear that meets the needs of the diving they do even it is not "100% DIR".

So -- FWIW -- I think we can all learn things from the DIR crowd. Just be patient when wading through the "noise"......you'll be glad you did.

Yes I did have some things to say, but since there are some people that are more interested in Opening their Mouth-Trap and mucking up the waters here things here have to be stopped.

I have never made any claim that this board is "PC", but -

[red]STOP THE RACIAL / PREJUDICE SLANDER[/red]

It is simply [red]NOT WELCOME HERE[/red]

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom