Here'a a interesting question???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishkiller

Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa Arizona, The all beach no ocean state.
# of dives
100 - 199
I was just thinking agian, not that that is a bad thing sometimes things happen that are good when I think.

I ask this question in the New2Scuba section for this reason.

Take a step into SCI FI

If you were train yourself to be a DIVER, what would you change?

I'd be DIR from the get-go.

Hey, you asked! :)

At the very least I'd learn about TRIM. All OW classes talk about buoyancy, but no one that I've seen has taught correct trim.

And, back to my first statement, correct trim is so much easier to accomplish with a backplate and wings.

Roak

You asked here's 4 for starters:

1. Better Training in Bouyancy control
2. More training required in OOA situations
3. Trim Training..although you may put this in with bouyancy they are still 2 different skills.
4. Better Buddymanship.

This increase in skill work would increase diver confidence greatly increasing divers staying diving.A big complaint I hear is people are scared going to open water. If they can do these skills well they should have confidence going to open water.
All these might require a longer training class...hmmmm can we afford that?

Ok I've stirred the pot enough...

Friggincold

What I mean by this is simply to have more time to "goof off" and get used to what diving for fun is all about, and to get more familiar with the equipment. From what I have seen it is all proficiency based at doing the skills required. This is fine except that you don't get used to just swimming around looking at things and having fun. I found that when I first dove (fat little bird for belushi) after class, that I didn't feel really comfortable. After a little playing around I felt much more comfortable with the whole idea. I believe this should be a part of the class and not just left to find out later. If this were the way things were done maybe more people would stay with it.

Later, Hawk.

Fishkiller,

Actually, it is not a good question: it is a great question!

My answer may be a variant of Hawk's. I think that OW cert should add two more dives that are just for "fun". That is there are not "tests" involved, but just a chance to practice one's new found skills and to have some fun. Does everyone remember that first dive after cert on a "strange" boat with all new people. Talk about nervous! And exhilaration! But a couple of "fun" dives with a familiar teacher beforehand would have been great!

Joewr...trying to remember what it was like before he started diving...not nearly as much fun!

If I was in a position to change training,I would train people on twins from the start, train for redundancy and self sufficiency, then instill the buddy system to back this up.
Train people for the real world, for my team thats low viz dark wreck dives, not crystal clear water and pretty fish. Fair enough if you just want to vacation dive thats fine, but we dive in the north sea, training must be relevent.

http://www.britishdiver.com

on
- rescue skills such as CPR and mouth to mouth resuss
- more awareness placed on how to look out for No.1
- as friggincold said....more bouyancy training.

Has anyone checked that Fishkiller is still fishkiller...I am sure this must be some kind of hacker...the old fishkiller never use to think now he seems to be continuously thinking - something strange going on here! :D

ScubaBaby.

It is called the "Board Effect": you stick around this Board for a while and you become more informed, more interesting, and more thinking. Fishkiller just did it faster than most!

Joewr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom