Here I come, Maui!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ticokitty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hola, Aloha - Just what Maui needed, another white poor school teacher.. Moving to Maui in August. Decision made based on diving. I've never been, not really worried.

Question, I want to do my DM on the weekends if that is possible and am living in/near Lahaina. Anybody out there know of a solid company that is nature oriented that might desire an enthusiastic fish geek? I thought I would just poke around when I got there, but have found a lull of activity prior to my move and way too much time to look on the internet.

I'll be there August 7th - any fun activities planned? I'ld really appreciate a good fish ID book recommendation as well.

abrazos

Hello (I haven't gotten to the point where my "aloha" sounds genuine... :) )

I'd love to go diving with you when you arrive -- send me a PM on here and we can arrange details... as for doing your DM... I'd strongly recommend Maui Dreams Dive Co., but they're in Kihei... I'm not sure of any *great* training places up on the Lahaina side for doing the pro-level training.

I don't mind working with you on the academic portions and such, but I don't have enough students (and am not associated with a shop) to give you a great DM internship experience. :(

There are three books that every Hawaii fish-liker needs... there's scads more that you can want, but they're optional. :)

Hoover's Fishes:
http://www.amazon.com/Hawaiis-Fishe...4744704?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185427285&sr=8-5

Another handy guide (just photo and name):
http://www.amazon.com/Reef-Fish-Haw...4744704?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185427285&sr=8-6

Randall's Shore Fishes:
http://www.amazon.com/Shore-Fishes-...744704?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185427442&sr=8-11

Hoover's Sea Creatures:
http://www.amazon.com/Hawaiis-Creat...9271203-4744704?ie=UTF8&qid=1185427285&sr=8-5

Those are pretty much the standard books used locally.

They have a good assortment at Borders in Kahalui right near the airport.. Both Hoover books plus a few others...They had a "great" one about Deadly sharks of Hawaii with a bunch of photos of sharks hanging off of hooks... I'd skip that one :)

Sean

divebuddysean:
They have a good assortment at Borders in Kahalui right near the airport.. Both Hoover books plus a few others...They had a "great" one about Deadly sharks of Hawaii with a bunch of photos of sharks hanging off of hooks... I'd skip that one :)

Sean
I've seen them at Costco sometimes, too (the Hoover books, that is).

There's also "Sharks and Rays of Hawaii" that I find quite interesting -- also good at dispelling some of the myths of sharks, once you get over the descriptive nature in the Tiger Shark article. :)

ticokitty:
Moving to Maui in August.

That is awesome! I just got my wife to agree that we get to go in two years instead of 7! :) you'll have to let me know how the move goes! :D

Wow, what a great flood of reception and information. So many thanks to all of you who took the time to reply. I was given a Costco membership for my B-day and may try to grab a book there; however, I'm thinking I will check out the titles on Amazon and just have them sent to my apartment or school.

I'll check on Maui Dreams. I just want to make sure that I am getting good training with a company that won't make me feel like I am pimping fish on a cattle boat. Since it will be when I'm not working I want it to be as enjoyable and challenging as possible.

Going to the shore (NC) this week to get in the water before I come out there. Been diving in the aquarium in Chattanooga for the past few months. Actually got bit by a giant C. Jack last week while doing a feeding show. It's not the bonnet heads or rays you have to watch for. Those suckers have sharp teeth!

Looking forward to discovering all the endemics and cool Pacific critters you guys have to hang with. I'm interested to see how many of the same species live there that live of the Pacific coast of Costa Rica, where I lived a few years ago. As a fish geek, I'm so excited!

Thanks again!

ticokitty:
Wow, what a great flood of reception and information. So many thanks to all of you who took the time to reply. I was given a Costco membership for my B-day and may try to grab a book there; however, I'm thinking I will check out the titles on Amazon and just have them sent to my apartment or school.

I'll check on Maui Dreams. I just want to make sure that I am getting good training with a company that won't make me feel like I am pimping fish on a cattle boat. Since it will be when I'm not working I want it to be as enjoyable and challenging as possible.

Going to the shore (NC) this week to get in the water before I come out there. Been diving in the aquarium in Chattanooga for the past few months. Actually got bit by a giant C. Jack last week while doing a feeding show. It's not the bonnet heads or rays you have to watch for. Those suckers have sharp teeth!

Looking forward to discovering all the endemics and cool Pacific critters you guys have to hang with. I'm interested to see how many of the same species live there that live of the Pacific coast of Costa Rica, where I lived a few years ago. As a fish geek, I'm so excited!

Thanks again!
Oh, you don't have to worry about the cattle boat thing with Maui Dreams -- they're a shore-diving operator, so you'll cut your teeth working without a boat schedule. Some big pluses there (e.g. no 4am mornings). :)

Back
Top Bottom