Henderson Hyperstretch fit & comfort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RLarsen

Reaction score
I just tried on my newly purchased 3 mil Henderson Titanium Hyperstretch wetsuit large/long size and found it to fit good and feel comfortable...except the armpit area. It's a little too tight and uncomfortable there.
Previously I tried an extra large size and found it too big.
Will the suit feel more comfortable underwater and might it break in a bit from use. I can't afford a custom suit and it feels pretty good except for the underarm area. I thought these expensive suits were supposed to stretch like crazy.
Rex

In general a wetsuit will feel more comfortable in the water. However if you are finding a 3mm hyperstretch uncomfortable anywhere I'd be a little concerned.

Before getting carried away though... How much time have you spent in wetsuits? The sensation alone can seem confining at first.

Describe tight? Can you put your arms straight up? Hands on opposite shoulders? breathing unhindered?

Is the suit up tight to your crotch but the arm pits of the suit are not making it up to your arm pits? That's a sign of a suit that's too short in the torso and you need to either go up a size or find a brand that is proprortioned more to you bodystyle. You may meet every catalog requirement and still miss on this aspect. I find this shard to belive if you are in a Large/Long.

Are you a weight lifter or otherwise heavilly proprtioned in the upper body?

Pete

Thanks for your thoughts Pete. I'm no weight lifter and don't have a big chest but I am accustomed to wetsuits. I thought the Henderson would be real flexible and comfortable from top to bottom. I'm just wondering if anyone's had a similar experience with fit and if the suit will "break in" a bit with use. I paid extra hoping for a real comfy fit.
Rex

I have a Henderson 3-mill full suit and it fits just like you described you expect one should, both out of and in the water. I can't imagine a wetsuit "breaking in," especially one so stretchy.

I tried on size ML in the store and thought it didn't feel and fit quite right despite the sales person saying otherwise. So they ordered size M. That's the one I'm talking about. Delighted.

I think wetsuits are kind of like shoes. If they don't feel right I wouldn't buy 'em, and would be trying on other brands.

Can you take yours back and try on other sizes and brands?

Rex,

How tall are you, and what's your weight?

Most tall cuts are really tall compared to the closest standard size. That could explain the uncomfortable feeling under the arms.

I've tried on a large long but found it to be too high cut on the torso for me at 6'1" and 185 lbs. Large was much better, if just a little short on the sleeves.

Chad

Love my hyperstretch(es). I would go back to the shop and explain to them what you are feeling. They can help resize you if necessary. The suit feel a little better in the water, but Hyperstretches should allow you to bend freely from side to side with little restriction. Following is the Henderson size chart. Maybe it will help.

http://www.hendersonusa.com/size_charts.html

jcf

I really appreciate the help and advice. I'm 6'2" and 195 lbs.
Chad, your comment about the "high cut on the torso" is really interesting. During my recent Cozumel trip I dove a borrowed Aqua Suede, size large. It felt a little tight when I first tried it on but during the week of diving it was fine and the sleeve and inseam length wasn't too bad. Since I have long arms I thought I'd order the long size Hyperstretch. (The Aqua Suedes are really way overpriced.) I figured the fit would be the same with a little extra material added to the sleeves and leg length.
When I got the new Hyperstretch everything seemed pretty good except the fit around my armpits, which felt uncomfortably tight. As you know, the Henderson's are not cheap but I decided to pay extra for the comfort. Once I pull off the tags and dive with it I won't be able to return it. I'm really curious about the idea that the long size is cut differently and isn't just longer in sleeve and leg length.
Thanks alot !
Rex

Although the suits DO stretch like crazy their fit is limited by how they are cut and stitched together. It sounds like the standard cut of the suit simply doesn't fit your "unstandard" body. :wink: My husband is 6'4" and 215 pounds with long arms and legs, and the XL fits him like a glove. Perhaps you're simply unlucky in that you're between sizes with a Large being too small and an XL being too big. :(

You might try on some different brands. It seems like everyone has a stretchy suit now, and although I haven't found one as stretchy as the Henderson (nor as comfortable for me), you may find one that is cut more proportionately for your body. And we all know that FIT IS EVERYTHING in a wetsuit.

Rex,

Here's the Henderson size chart. (Note that they have only one chart for all suit thicknesses and materials.)
http://www.hendersonusa.com/size_charts.html
The torso measurement is what I was talking about. 31" is two inches too tall on me.
By the chart you appear to be close in the X-large, but Henderson suits are not athletic or slim cut. I'm still a little loose in the waist area on my large 3mm and 7/5mm suits, but I certainly can't go smaller. I'd rather have the closest correct fit in body and deal with a slightly short sleeve or leg issue.
Some other brands are cut slimmer.
It really helps to have a stocking dealer close by.

Good luck.

Chad

Did you try on other sizes? I ended up in a much smaller sized Hyperstretch than I thought I would based on the size chart. I normally can't get a women's wetsuit to fit me comfortably (linebacker shoulders & long torso), but the Hyperstretch had enough stretch. Perhaps a different size might be ore comfortable.

Mary Helen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom