Henderson Aqualock or Custom Wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new to diving but I'm already in love with it! I'm trying to make smart decisions with my diving investments, both in cost and the order in which I'm buying my own equipment. Exposure suit is definitely at the top of my list. I'm short and round-ish. I'm considering the Henderson Aqualock (I couldn't believe they make an "off the rack" suit in my size!!). They seem to have a great return policy...just in case. Are there any gals out there who have the same or very similar suit? Is a custom suit the way to go? I saw the WetWear suits at a show and those expansion zippers look awfully tempting. Looking for input from the vertically and/or metabolically challenged...especially the gals. Input from anyone is greatly appreciated.

My next wetsuit is going to be from here : Welcome to Wetwear - Custom Wet Suits of Rubatex Neoprene for Scuba Diving and All Water Activities

The amount of measuring they do insures you will have a great fit and they use rubatex which is the best material for wetsuits. I have seen them at a local dive show for three years and am just waiting for my Pinnacle to wear out to order one from them. I managed to have my booth next to theirs and saw the care they take in measuring.

Based on my own limited experience with Henderson suits and reports of seams coming apart, not lasting very long (a friends went just over 75 dives and was pretty much shot), I would not even consider one. Way overpriced for what they are IMO, and I'd be very careful about the return policy and read the fine print and get ANY guarantee in writing.

I'm not an easy size to fit and if you are going to spend the money custom is the only way to go. Plus wetwear will add zippers, pockets, etc where you want them. Tell them Jim Lapenta from the next booth at Scubafest in Ohio referred you. I get no comission, discount, etc. Just really like their product and business practices.

Jim Lapenta, I do not know the details of the circumstances revolving around your limited experience with us, but I would hope that you reconsider us in the future. We strive to ensure that every wetsuit is made to last but inevitably there are cases that deviate from this standard. The important thing for you to know is that we stand behind our product and will do everything we can to help our customers.

PensacolaPawikan, Thank you for considering the Aqua Lock wetsuit. So far the feedback we have on the suit has been great. Feel free to ask questions if they come up as you move closer to a purchase. No-matter what suit you end up choosing have fun and be safe!

I have a complete Aqua Loc set (7mm hood, suit, boots, 5mm gloves). Used it for 2 dives at Dutch Springs (min temp 45F) with a 7mm sleeveless shorty tunic on top and 15 in Galapagos (min temp 55 F) without additional layers. It is extremely comfortable and seals nicely. It is also amazingly easy to don and doff. Custom-fit non-stretch suits, regardless of zippers, are very stiff and can be really painful to don and doff. They probably do last longer, but I personally don't think it's worth the trade-off. My 7mm sleeveless shorty is custom-made non-stretch, and even that is tough to handle. With sleeves and legs...

I would go with the BARE Elastic suit, the problem with a custom suit is that if your weight changes 10 pounds the suit doesnt fit right. Im not a big fan of the Henderson Aqua Lock because it is 100% strech so it would last very long.

I appreciate the feedback!! At this point, the Henderson may be within reach financially. I just want to dive. I've found that I tend to retain body heat very well. I'm even considering a 5 mm over a 7 mm even to dive in chilly SoCal waters (I'm not ready to go too deep just yet anyway). Am I nuts? I have friends who won't dive in SoCal unless they're wearing a drysuit.

PensacolaPawikan,

Determining what will be warm for you based on what is warm for someone else is always a hard call. Everyone seems to have different tolerances to the elements. With that point aside, the Aqua Lock suit has received much feedback for its warmth being well beyond expectations. Also, rest assured that we stand behind all our products 100% and our customer service is always eager to help should you need us.

Good luck in your search for a wetsuit and stay safe!

I am not sure of the information you have received regarding henderson wetsuits

I work in a dive store that sell the suits, they are extremely robust, in fact this summer I put (8) 7mm jumpsuits in the rental section. All of the suits enjoyed a very busy and "used" summer and fall--there were no problems and no failures of any kind.
The suits appear in excellent condition, the store will probably use them in rental next year as well.
In closing, I would have no fear of purchasing a Henderson Product, they work and are robust.

thanks

I appreciate the feedback!! At this point, the Henderson may be within reach financially. I just want to dive. I've found that I tend to retain body heat very well. I'm even considering a 5 mm over a 7 mm even to dive in chilly SoCal waters (I'm not ready to go too deep just yet anyway). Am I nuts? I have friends who won't dive in SoCal unless they're wearing a drysuit.

I'm another oddly-shaped but hot-blooded diver. My current plan is to invest in a custom Seasoft 5mm semi-dry. Finding something that fits me properly off the rack is a heck of a challege [I have short legs and a big chest] and Seasoft will customize a suit for something like $75-100 over the rack price. Not cheap, but I have learned that heavy wetsuits are relatively inflexible, and you _don't_ want anything constricting your chest while diving. I too looked at the Henderson suits...a local dealer raved about them, but then he's trying to sell them too so I can't discount some bias. They do look very good, but I can't get one in a size that fits, unfortunately.

As for the 5 mil weight... I was diving last May off Vancouver Island where everybody else had drysuits, and thought I was nuts to dive in a Pinnacle 7mil semi-dry. Despite its bad fit, I was quite comfortable in terms of warmth. In tropical waters I dive a Bare 3/2 Elastik that I quite like...it's stretchy enough not to be overly constrictive and quite warm enough even in waters the locals [Hawaii, Florida] thought were 'freezing' ie. low to mid '70's. I suspect a good 5mm will do me for cooler waters, and I can always layer it with a hooded vest for extra core warmth [I have a Waterproof vest that is a nice fit]. I'm also looking at one of those Thermalution heated shirts...

Bottom line...you aren't nuts to think that you might be more cold-tolerant than your drysuited pals. [Drysuits have their issues too...they aren't a panacea, IMHO]. If you are a serious diver, you should care about getting the right fit on your wetsuit, so consider a custom fit job. Think about layering...

Good luck!

For what it's worth, I have a 2 year old Henderson (I think they call it hyperstretch?) 4/3 farmer john that has probably 50 dives on it, and it may be the all around best wetsuit I've ever owned. It goes on and off like jeans and a T shirt, and is every bit as comfortable. As far as durability, it shows very little wear, but I do take good care of my gear. I have a Mares one piece 3 mil that is 20 years old and still going. I just hate getting in and out of it, so it doesn't see much use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom