Help with Zena, please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Susiecue

Reaction score
I am a newbie diver, and am purchasing my first BC. The Zena was by far the most comfortable one I tried, and given the rave reviews on SB, I have my heart set on buying one. Unfortunately (you had to know that was coming), the medium is too big and the small is too small. The medium is definitely more comfortable, but the lower strap is still loose when adjusted as tight as it can get. I have about an inch and a half of excess to tighten the shoulder straps and about an inch of excess slack at the waist. Unfortunately, it took forever to find Zenas to try, and I have not been able to swap components out to see which feels best.

I am leaning towards getting a medium BC and swapping out the chest portion for a small (although the small was too small in the bust). I am supposed to leave for the Keys on Friday, and have found an LDS in the Keys who would be able to order it if only I knew what sizes I need. I would love to have my new bc for at least part of the trip....

Please help!??

Thanks!

Susiecue, I know Scott answered your PM, but since I adore my Zena and love to shout it to the rooftops, I thought I'd pipe in with a few suggestions.

If you aren't doing it already, make sure you're adjusting your Zena properly when putting it on. You must loosen all the straps before you zip it up. Then you want to pull the front down as far as you can and tighten the LOWER straps first. They should fit under your ribcage and very close to your natural waist (if not on it). The next straps to be tightened the the middle ones, which sit over your ribs. The last straps are your shoulder straps, which basically just snug the shoulder section down.

I find it easiest to do this in the water when I'm in a horizontal position, rather than on land. Simple to go horizontal, put the tank square on my back, and tighten from the bottom up. Takes me approximately 1 minute to do now, and I know my gear is perfectly situated the minute I hit depth.

DiveMaven, I read your post on another thread describing how to adjust the Zena before I tried it on. Thank you for giving such detailed instructions! It looks like I will be able to mix and match in Key West, and will be diving with my new Zena on Saturday! :)

Thanks again for the info!

You are more than welcome!! I love both my Zena and my Envoy regs, and definitely plan on being a lifetime Zeagle owner. My husband's even been told if he can't get the problems with his Legend resolved that he's getting Zeagle regs next time!! :D

Scott...a t-shirt sure would make advertising easier! <hint, hint>

I love my new Zena, and highly recommend it to any woman in the market for a new BC! Thanks for your help, Scott and DiveMaven!

Scott, very sorry to hear about your Mother-in-Law. My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

DiveMaven...thanks for the tips! I just ordered my Zena from ScubaToys and awaiting for it to come in!!!

Thanks again for the advice at the Scuba Show Scott!! It was very enlightening!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom