Help with trim-PADI style hover skill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today I passed the 400 meter swim, the 800 meter snorkel, 100 meter timed tired diver tow. Also, rescue scenario with searching for the diver on the bottom in <10 foot vis, and remove gear while rescue breathing, than tow victim back to shore while rescue breathing, dragging him up onto the beach to start CPR.
I asked my buddy how big he really is-6'6"! 225ish!
got 4's on all the stamina skills. Would have done much better if I'd brought my compass for that portion. I can't seem to swim in a straight line without a pool line on the bottom. ( we tested in the lake) With all the zigging and zagging I did, I'm sure I tacked on an extra 100 meters or so to every swim, lol! Including the tired diver and rescue tow. There was a pretty strong wind pushing me one way and I kept having to swim parallel to the shore to correct.
So, I'm pooped now, to say the least.
Only mapping and whatever classes I need to help with. Not sure what the classes will be like,exactly, since it's not set-up yet. Plus, I need to read that part of the Instructor Manual, now that I passed the stuff I was worried about.
Mapping will be next week. Looking forward to that.

I did get to enjoy watching a crayfish housecleaning, bringing rocks and shells out of his hole, while I sat on the bottom for 25 minutes, waiting to get found. That was pretty cool!

TSandM-I'll start looking up that breath hold stuff and working on it. I guess I've figured out at least a few ways to work out in my little pool, heh?
Trying the city pool for laps tomorrow. If I can get out of bed, lol!

That's interesting, because that's one of the pieces of advice I got about doing the skill, and that's the way we did it.

I think one of the best things a diver can do is practice breath-hold swimming. I know that, when I started practicing it for my Fundies class, I was petrified of it. By the time I easily passed the longer breath-hold swim in Cave 1 and Cave 2, I had figured out how to be much more efficient in the water, and had learned I could hold my breath FAR longer than I would have believed. Knowing that takes a lot of the stress out of anything that involves periods of no air supply underwater, including the gear exchange skill.

With all due respect, breath holding is NOT a skill that should be fostered in scuba diving. If you are performing any skill u/w where the reg is out of your mouth, you'd better be blowing bubbles, or you will earn a 1. The technique that needs to be honed is one of learning to blow bubbles slowly, resisting the urge to totally & quickly exhale.

Breath holding is fine for skin or free diving, not for scuba.

I think that distinction needs to stressed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom