Help with Scubapro choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robby6Pack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at buying a new regulator. I am going with Scubapro. I live in Oklahoma and all the lakes are very murky. I am trying to decide between the MK17 and MK25. I am leaning towards the MK17 because it's sealed. Is my thinking flawed? Will the MK25 be just fine? Cold water diving is not a consideration. Thanks for any input. Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death.

If you're not diving dirty or reasonably cold water either will work very well. Save the above conditions it's largely personal preference. I only dive single tank BM, I prefer diapghrams. I use mainly MK17s, as I can use them in any conditions and they require less fastidious after dive care.

Last edited:
Either one will work just fine. There are several of us up here who dive with Mk25s, who dive in murky lakes and rivers around here, and it holds up just fine. If you can't decide go with the Mk17 simply because it is a sealed first stage.

I find more people get rocks, coral, and other debris in their second stages way more often than the first stage. Keep the second stages tucked in and don't allow them to be dragged along the bottom while diving or simply moving your scuba unit around on land.

Here's a Scubapro Dealers Opinion Either reg will perform outstanding for you. I dive the MK-25 over the MK-17 because I like the swivel turret. My first regulator purchase back in 1986 was the great great grandfather of the MK-25, the MK10 paired with a G-250 second stage. So, I've always been partial to that family of regulators. Come see us at Lake Tenkiller

You can't go wrong with either, I own both murky doesn't effect the 25 I use the 17 when it starts to get cold and for my ice diving. I dive the Colorado river system and Lake Mead all winter with the MK 25. The only thing I could add is the 25 being a piston does breathe a little easier and I mean hardly noticeable

My first regulator purchase back in 1986 was the great great grandfather of the MK-25, the MK10 paired with a G-250 second stage.

More like the grandfather; the great grandfather would be the MK5. That's really the beginning of the line for the SP balanced piston line. As a dealer, I thought you'd appreciate knowing that. And actually the MK5 has more in common with the MK25 than does the MK10. The MK10 was kind of an oddball in that the ambient chamber and HP chamber were milled out of a single piece of brass, which required a smaller diameter. Don't get me wrong, I love MK10s, I use them in my cave set up. But the real ancestor of the MK25 is the MK5.

Back to the OP. Here's how you choose: eeny, meenie, miney, moe......

Isnt the MK25 EVO sealed? I just bought a MK25 EVO set with an S600 from Beaver Divers in Denver for $350 rebuilt and shipped last month and have been very happy with it. (Multiple quick dives in 1 day) They listed them on this site and their website as well. Great transaction. Spent all day at Tenkiller last month from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm mostly in the water for my advanced class.

Good luck,
Jay

Isnt the MK25 EVO sealed? I just bought a MK25 EVO set with an S600 from Beaver Divers in Denver for $350 rebuilt and shipped last month and have been very happy with it. (Multiple quick dives in 1 day) They listed them on this site and their website as well. Great transaction. Spent all day at Tenkiller last month from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm mostly in the water for my advanced class.

Good luck,
Jay

The Mk25 is not a sealed first stage, including the Mk25EVO. EVO stands for Evolution. The EVO has a blue coating on the spring along with a blue "cap", called Extended Thermal Insulating System (XTIS), that is in between the spring and the body of the reg, slowing the growth of ice. It works quite well. I use the Mk25 year-round in the mountain lakes, up to 8000' in elevation and under the ice, here in MT and AB.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom