Help With Narrowing Down Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a ridiculous amount of hype and nonsense in scuba regulator sales. It's just a set of valves that step down pressure from the tank to ambient. They all work fine. The main issue is service, another area where the industry thrives on BS. If you are planning on diving extensively for a long time, and you are reasonably mechanically inclined, learn how to service your own regs and buy ones that you can find parts for.

I could rant about this all day.....

Well, my first regulator was a Scubapro MkV with r109, and I kept from 1973 to 2002. Most trouble free regulator I ever owned. I had it serviced every 3-5 years, usually when the exhaust diaphragm started leaking water. I don't push the limits like that anymore, LOL, better to do annual or semi-annual service. I have a Scubapro cold water MK25 with S600, Scubapro MK25AF with X650 and an Atomic B2. Most people don't dive deep enough, cold enough, or have a high enough workload to find the limits of modern regulators of decent design to see the differences in performance or reliability. My philosophy is buy the best that your budget allows. You can get a used Scubapro for less than the cost of a new piece of junk. Spend $40 and have it serviced. It will last for years. I bought the Atomic B2 DIN for $350 and it came with a Sherwood Octo and a Sunnto Cobra computer console for my Daughter. It is only two years old. Atomic has a very good for the money model, it is the Z3 and I recommend adding the swivel hose option. It comes standard on the higher end models. I was looking to buy the Z3 new when I found a deal too good to pass up on the used B2 setup. My preference for design and performance are these two brands. I recommend you try as many regulators as you can and build some experience, balanced with opinions of very experienced divers. The old saying "poor people don't know they are poor until the see how rich people live" applies to regulators. I have had people "try" my Scubapro at dive depth, the look on their face is usually priceless! LOL. My $0.02 cents. Shotmaster

Atomic has a very good for the money model, it is the Z3 and I recommend adding the swivel hose option. It comes standard on the higher end models.
Actually the only difference between the Z2 and Z3 now is that the Z3 comes with the swivel hose standard for the $80-100 higher MSRP. $40 more if you want either sealed.

Atomic Aquatics Regulator Systems Comparison Chart

I started following Atomic when the former engineers from Scubapro started it. They have done some really cool design things, and did not have the constraints imposed by having a legacy or a corporate bureaucracy to contend with and it shows. I was looking to give them a try. So far I am very impressed with what make. Would I leave Scubapro, only time will tell. Is Atomic as good as Scubapro? I think they are competitive. But I have a long satisfying history with Scubapro. Just like jet fins, I just hung mine up and bought a pair of Scubapro Seawings. The only fins that I feel are superior. I have bought different fins over the years, they were all a disappointment and a waste of money. Good design wins, it doesn't matter who's name is on it. However, Scubapro has remained at the top for decades for a reason. Just sayin'

There is almost zero practical difference between a MK5/balanced-adjustable and a MK25/S600. The MK25 should go longer between service than the MK5 due to the piston design, but my MK5s seem to go forever without any problems, so go figure.

I know, but I do like the light weight S600 second stage and the DIN. Perfection is hard to improve upon! Everyone else just makes copies.

My opinion is to buy a good regulator at a very good price and don't worry about buying the "best regulator in the world", for now. Honestly, what is the best regulator in the world? (Who knows.)
My advice is to buy a regulator with three features:
1.) Balanced diaphragm first stage: This technology has been around for decades. Some piston regulators do not have the feature of being balanced for special applications (100% O2 service, stage bottle use.).
2.) Pneumatically balanced (barrel poppet) second stage: This has been more recent but improved nearly all brands of regulator performance tremendously (over the downstream valve design). Some argue Aqua Lung purchased Apeks to get their second stage technology. Nearly all brands offer some version of this design.
3.) Environmentalyzed first stage using a hydrostatic transfer cap, plunger and diaphragm: I feel this adds reassurance in case one gets careless about rinsing gear. Simple and effective feature to add.

If the cheaper of your regulator choices has all of these features, get that regulator (Using good sense/discretion, of course!). I see lots of regulators with these three features sold online for less than $290 new. Some less than $170 new.
I recommend you this because you are starting out and your diving style and type of diving will evolve tremendously over the next 50-100 dives. From my experience, your fun level will increase dramatically more after your first 25 or so dives and you will fall into a style and incorporate methods from buddies and ship/club mates. If you buy a regulator with the features above, it will be a fantastic and reliable back-up regulator (or pony bottle reg) later when you buy a second regulator (The "worlds best regulator", whatever that is. LOL). I also feel the three features above are the three most significant technology advances for regulators over the last 40 years (other can give your opinions.). Unless that used regulator is serviced and ready to go for a great price, I recommend not paying too much for a regulator that still needs service. This is your only regulator and you don't have time to experience problems, regrets while you should be diving and gaining experience. Atomic seems to be a great regulator from what I read but I have never used one. It shocks me that they cost 3 to 4 times the price of other regulators! (Are they 3-4 times better?) They seem to deviate from the traditional design of other regulators (intermediate pressure is higher) and other posters please let us know if servicing them is any different in cost and complexity from other regulators. Lastly, you have other gear/stuff to spend money on (wetsuit, drysuit, lights, camera, tanks, nitrox class, speargun, boat trips, etc.). I hope you find what you are looking for in your final choice and have fun diving.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom