Help With Narrowing Down Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slym

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I have narrowed my search down to three regs:

1. is the Zeagle Onyx, as this is at a decent price with a first stage and braided hose, also it is cold water rated.

2. Hog's single package, comes with everything I would need sold by DRIS. It's a price point that is fantastic but I am worried about the quality.

3. If I can get a set of my dive shops used Halcyon regs I can probably get a setup for about 500 bucks they use the Aura regulator.

I am really split, I know at the end of the day all of them will breath, but are there any advantages to one over the other that may sway my dollars?

I have several HOG reg sets, and know several cave/wreck divers who have used them extensively. I have seen no credible evidence leading me to doubt their quality.

*One HUGE advantage: HOG will train you on how to service and maintain your own regs.

I have several HOG reg sets, and know several cave/wreck divers who have used them extensively. I have seen no credible evidence leading me to doubt their quality.

*One HUGE advantage: HOG will train you on how to service and maintain your own regs.

Agreed. Just because they're not "name brand" (Aqualung, Halcyon, etc.) doesn't mean they lack in quality....it's the lesser know brands that often provide the most quality and incredible customer service.

As many, I have several sets of HOG regs, great price, performance and bulletproof.

$500 for a used set of Halcyon regs? That seems steep to me. Are they serviced and ready to go?

BTW... Halcyon is just a rebadged ScubaPro reg with an upcharge.

If you pay them. And have a "tech" cert.

I have 4 full sets of HOG regs. Amazing customer support. Breathe as good as anything else I've dove with. I'd buy another set in a heartbeat if something happened to one of ours.

Jay

Well it is good to hear hog users backing it up, I've been to some dive shops and mentioned hog and the brand always gets put down a bit as being poor.... however... shortly after that they show me all the atomic regs they have lol

If you pay them. And have a "tech" cert.
That "tech" cert can be as simple as TDI Nitrox

Well it is good to hear hog users backing it up, I've been to some dive shops and mentioned hog and the brand always gets put down a bit as being poor.... however... shortly after that they show me all the atomic regs they have lol

the dive shop makes more money selling you regs from expensive brands like atomic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom