Help with first gear purchase - regulator! Help me decide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The swivel can fail during a dive allowing gas to escape. On a shallow tropical recreational dive it is not a problem as you can just switch to the octo and surface. If you are in a situation where you cannot immediately go to the surface (cave or deco) the gas loss may put you in a dangerous situation.

I regularly us a Atomic M1 on a swivel in a cave and Deco diving It is not a problem but something to be mindful. Their failure rate is Very small so I do not worry about it and if there is a problem just shut down the post and switch regs. That said I am a huge Atomic Fan, cant recommend enough.

Yeah, I agree - but I like seeing report data too (i.e. ScubaDiving.com's measured values after hooking up to the machine). Of course, I realize they could be biased, but at the same time, sometimes individual users see what they want to see with their own gear purchases.

Yep, good logic - that's why I'm considering it too! I'm not sure how the MK17 compares to the MK25 though? Pretty close?
I see why someone would take offense to "cheap" in that context tho - "inexpensive" is a better word (since cheap generally implies lower quality). I'm sure no offense was intended tho!
The SG1000 doesn't come with a swivel, right? Did you add one?
--Kyle

No it comes with it.
With the shorter lines some think it is more comfortable.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I thought MK25 was better for cold water than MK17? Anyway, I'm just wondering if there's really much of a difference between the two for my purposes?

No, I don't have to have the top shelf stuff, but I like comfort and avoiding issues / annoyances while diving too. Not that I plan to sell my first gear anytime soon, but it's also good to have well-known brands / quality models for resale value too. Thanks,
--Kyle

Other way around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to topic?

I have a newbie question... The "octopus" is really the same as the main regulator, just that it's the backup and usually has a different colored hose (and/or face), right? Should I consider the HOG as my octopus since it's inexpensive??? Then I can also try it and use whichever I prefer as my main 2nd stage (if I got the Atomic, Legend, or MK25)?

Although, then I guess I have the issue of needing to service two different types of regulators? Or would the HOG not need to be serviced if it's never really "used" (breathed off of) since it's the octopus? Thanks,

--Kyle

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Some off topic posts have been removed. Please show a bit more respect when posting.

I personally dive a Hogarthian style rig. That means my primary second stage is on a 6' long hose and my secondary second stage (octo) is on a much shorter (22" not 40" ) hose and is bungied around my neck.

In the event of an emergency I don't donate the secondary, I donate the primary and switch to the secondary. Since I will be breathing this reg during an emergency I want the same quality as my primary. In both cases I use Hog D1 seconds because they are a high performance, high quality yet affordable reg.

Inspection, servicing, adjusting, rebuilding are similar yet different concepts and I have my own opinions of what needs to be done when.

Back to topic?

I have a newbie question... The "octopus" is really the same as the main regulator, just that it's the backup and usually has a different colored hose (and/or face), right? Should I consider the HOG as my octopus since it's inexpensive??? Then I can also try it and use whichever I prefer as my main 2nd stage (if I got the Atomic, Legend, or MK25)?

Although, then I guess I have the issue of needing to service two different types of regulators? Or would the HOG not need to be serviced if it's never really "used" (breathed off of) since it's the octopus? Thanks,

--Kyle

I would strongly recommend sticking with the same manufacturer for both the primary and the octopus. You can interchange Subgear/Scubapro or Apeks/Aqualung as they made by the same companies. Remember your LDS can close change brands etc. Best to stay with the same brand.

I've used the scubapro set up, I'm not a big fan of the second stage. But I really like the aqualung titan,just to let you know. They go for around 450$. I don't have experience with aqua lung legend but it can usually be serviced locally which is nice. And I don't think you said what your octo/ alternate air source would be.

I would strongly recommend sticking with the same manufacturer for both the primary and the octopus. You can interchange Subgear/Scubapro or Apeks/Aqualung as they made by the same companies. Remember your LDS can close change brands etc. Best to stay with the same brand.

Sure, makes sense...

And I don't think you said what your octo/ alternate air source would be.

Well, considering the above, I think I'll just go with an inexpensive one of the same brand. Maybe if I get the MK25 / S600 I would get the least expensive Sub Gear for the octopus. Or the Air 2 on the ScubaPro Go which is a BC I'm considering... Thanks,
--Kyle

I thought MK25 was better for cold water than MK17? Anyway, I'm just wondering if there's really much of a difference between the two for my purposes?
--Kyle

The MK17 is a better cold water reg than the MK25, but unless you have a drysuit, you won't be in water even near the temps that would give the MK25 any trouble. Similarly, 120-130 ft is not considered deep in terms of placing a demand on regulators. I've used the MK2/R190 at that depth with zero problems, and that's the lowest-performing SP reg.

You might be overthinking this a bit; I suggest you go for the best deal. ALL regulators made and sold from major manufacturers are more than adequate for any recreational diving. If you don't want annoyances, please get the simplest set up you can; no swivel hose attachment, no anti-set feature, and definitely do not buy a DIN reg for the diving that you have described. That eliminates HOG, but their 'edge' line would be fine.

In terms of emergency service while on vacation in the caribbean, I believe that mares would be a good choice; there's a mares distributor on roatan and a large mares shop on cozumel. Generally speaking, I'm not familiar with specific mares regs.

In terms of service at home, please forget about the free(well, not really free) parts nonsense, forget the warranty, and just get the reg serviced when it needs it; probably about every 4 years for someone who takes a couple of trips a year, and cleans and stores the regulator well. Annual service on any decent reg is way overkill for a typical recreational diver. If you're doing 100+ dives/year, that's different.

The traveling issue is an interesting one. First and foremost, I believe you should choose dive gear based on how it performs while diving, not how it fits in luggage. I get a real chuckle out of someone who spends $1000 on a titanium reg with the 'reasoning' that they'll save $50 on baggage fees. How about taking one fewer pair of shoes instead, or ditching the 10lb suitcase for a light duffle? That said, it is nice to have a compact gear bag. Substituting braided hoses like miflex can cut down on the weight and bulk a bit. Buying a reasonable BC, like a small BP/W or one of the zeagle soft pack harness (tech express or something?) can help quite a bit too. And they're WAY better to dive with than the stupid life-jackets-with-tank-straps that populate most dive shops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom