Help With Creature ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azisme

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Finally sorted through my pictures from San Carlos last weekend. But before I show those off, I have a couple of creatures I need help identifying. the first picture shows some starlike crawly things on a coral. The secon is a Sea Cucumber sort of thing, I think it was about 4 or 5 inches long.. Perhaps a baby Sea Cucumber?

Steve

azisme:
Finally sorted through my pictures from San Carlos last weekend. But before I show those off, I have a couple of creatures I need help identifying. the first picture shows some starlike crawly things on a coral. The secon is a Sea Cucumber sort of thing, I think it was about 4 or 5 inches long.. Perhaps a baby Sea Cucumber?

Steve
The first is probably a brittle star. I can't identify the second until u attach a thumbnail...

Yep...pics would help! :D

I would tend to agree that it may be a brittle star or feather star, the second may be a worm of some type but I would be of great assistance if a picture was posted :)

Oops. I didn't realize I got an error uploading. My file size was too large. Here they are the pix.

The first is definately Brittle Stars. The second looks like some sort of segmented worm but I didn't find it in my ID books and have never seen one exactly like that.

Thanks. I have heard of brittle stars, but I thought they were much larger. The picture does demonstrate the better closeup abilities of the 5050 versus the 4040. I had pictures of the same thing before, but I thought they were part of the coral. Can't wait to photograph a nudibranch now.

I agree with DEE brittle star, and for the second while it may inn fact be a segmented worm it does not show the features of such (Bristles) it also does not show the features of a sea cucumber. Can you flip it over :) Another idea and question. Its movement? strech and contract or semi solid? If it was solid it could be a starfish arm in the stage of recreation. :06:

I think you've got it Scuba_John. Here is a picture of a starfish taken the day before. Looks pretty close. San Carlos is also known for having bunches of starfish. I never knew they regenerated that way.

Thanks,

-Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom