Help with buying a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are there any "brands" I could be looking for that you know of from personal use? I'm still going to try multiple kinds out for fit, but would like to know what to look for.

I will look out for the Oceanic Pioneer, Phil. Thanks!

I have scubapro 3mm that I really like - I'm 185cm, and I find that they have a really good stretch and a bit of extra length. I can also chuck a diveskin underneath it and I've worn it in water of 18 degrees. Have heard awesome, awesome things about Pinnacle and I am desperate to get my hands on one to find out if they're worth the fuss!

I have a harveys 3 mil farmer john with the seals in them. it is almost as tight as a dry wuit and very,vary warm. I used it in fla for caves where the wter is 71ish and was warm. it has the 4 way stretch. In the gulf i dive a shortie only 1.5-3mm. not so much for warmth but for chaffing and pos bouyancy on the surface. i wear a skin with it.

Are there any "brands" I could be looking for that you know of from personal use? I'm still going to try multiple kinds out for fit, but would like to know what to look for.

I will look out for the Oceanic Pioneer, Phil. Thanks!

I would also suggest to consider custom made suits.... the price may be a hair higher but the results are amazing. specially when it is about a thick suit. Reality is that if you can easily put on a 7mm suit, it only means that it will last only a couple of years before losing its insulation characteristic; or even worse,it is ill fitting and will not provide appropriate thermal protection. A suit of the rack that would work is semi-impossible to don. But a custom made with zippers long enough to where they belong, will be the difference between an ok or miserably cold dive and a warm pleasurable dive.

I feel spoiled by having Wet Wear with in driving distance but they also work long distance.

Should I ask if I can try them in their pool?

The best brand is the one in which you feel most comfortable. Every brand seems to have a different cut and fit.

At the very least, ask them about their return policy. Many brands, such as Aqua Lung, have a 30 day satisfaction on their products. You can exchange it for another Aqua Lung product even if it is used.

If the brand doesn't have a policy like that, then ask if the store does. Our store has a 30day no-hassle policy. Not trying to plug our store (ok, maybe a little), but just trying to show you that a good LDS wants to earn your business. If you are not happy with what you have, they will put you in something else until you are.

I'm only adding to this thread because I'm super picky about fit and comfort and have a closet full of exposure protection I wish I hadn't bought after quite a bit of trial and error over the years.
The above post by Force-E is spot on. I'm in a warm state but dive do dive in cold areas often. I have mail ordered a bunch of suits over time because none of the LDS stock more that 5mm and very few if they did. Last one I bought, I happened to be in San Diego so they had a bunch of thicker suits in stock. Tried on 12 7mm suits that day and walked out with what is for me an great fit and easy to don 7mm semi dry. The shop operators where bringing me water, commenting that most people either buy or walk after about the second or third try on of a thick suit. I ended up with a brand I would have never considered, also one of the more pricey selections. After trying everything on I tried the one I decided to buy after making a mental note earlier and it was a no brainer when I tried it on the second time after all the others, try several on and you will know when you get that one that fits.

- If it's hard to put on in the shop, it will be worse on site
- If it is uncomfy anywhere after about a minute or two pass on the suit
- Manufacturer size charts are all over the place, don't trust them, you need to try it on.
- Forget about being brand loyal, forget the hype and gimics, not nearly as important as a good fit.
- If a cold water suit then go for good neck ankle and wrist seals to minimize water transfer.
- If you buy by mail/online you absolutely need to be able to return, you will eat the shipping cost but that is just part of doing business. There is no way a mail/online store could not require this without losing their arse, it is a service worth paying for.
- Definitely some merit to custom, and may actually be quicker and less expensive after all is said and done. But, you should know what you need before you order.
- In thinner suits at temps where compression isn't an issue the newer strech neo suits are very forgiving if the size isn't perfect.
- Once you get below about 65 degrees (for me personally) all the gimics in the expensive high end wetsuits cost so much that you should probably consider a $150 drysuit course and maybe an entry level drysuit, by the time you pay for all those price neo layers you can dive dry below 70, once you do you won't go back :)

Since your new, you may want to just get a 3mm and a beanie which will always be useful in your diving as you move on. Then maybe rent/borrow a few suits to figure out what layering works for what you are doing. Then proceed to buy once you dial that in. It really is a subjective matter and no two people are the same regarding hot/cold natured, fit, etc.
I've been diving for a long time and the number one sore spot for me regarding gear has always been exposure protection. I finally got it all dialed in now and I"m happy with what I have. No need to say what it is, because it likely won't work for you. It is something you need to experiment with.

Feel free to PM for info.

Good thread. Wetsuits are very personal so I can only give you my 2 cents. First off, I dive in So Cal at Catalina Island every spring/summer/fall, water temps 70 (surface) to 50 (at depth of 65-75'). I've been diving with a 7M Henderson Gold Core and thought it was a great wetsuit. I have a separate 5M hoody and boots. Sometimes I would get cold at depth, but I love that suit in general. I also have a 3/2M billabong "super-stretch" (really a surf suit) and used that in Hawaii. Honestly i was cold at 120' even with a 3M vest over that. I dove the Bahamas in March, 2012 and used my 7M with a dive skin and that was perfect. The thing is that 7M Henderson is 8 years old and has lost much of it's insulation capabilities. So after much research and trying on many new wetsuits over the past 3 months I finally settled on the Aqualung 7M full jumpsuit with "hyper stretch" and damn, I love it! I prefer to be warm so I am taking this to Maui in 2 weeks and we'll see how it goes. Anyway, try on several and don't spend too much (I spent $395 at Sport Chalet). Also, I recommend a dive skin and a separate hoody (those are easy to add when needed). Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom