Help with Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic:
I dove with Aqua Dives last year and had a decent experience. When did you dive with them, Don? And what was the problem?
I'm guessing that you were on their smaller boat. Their larger boats are fit for freight & taxi work only, and the skipper & 2nd mate on mine were jerks. My report from 2004: here

Zahner's thread, in which he describes nearly sinking when their big boat was broken by a wave: Here - post 21.

Also see Ayisha's post #29.

uglyredshoes:
CayeCaulker unlike Ambergris, doesnt have nearby reef diving.

The reef in front of Caulker is the same as on Ambergris. It's about 3-400 yards off shore.

DandyDon:
I'm guessing that you were on their smaller boat. Their larger boats are fit for freight & taxi work only, and the skipper & 2nd mate on mine were jerks. My report from 2004: here

Zahner's thread, in which he describes nearly sinking when their big boat was broken by a wave: Here - post 21.

Also see Ayisha's post #29.

Wow! We were on the same boats. We went with our LDS so it was about 10 to a boat, but we all knew each other. The DGs we had were very nice. It was windy with 4-6 foot seas, but no too bad. We did have a time or 2 of difficult passage through the reef. In fact, our cpt had to abort one attempt and swing over to another break to get back in on one trip. We had about 80' viz the whole time. I'm sure there are better operations, but we had a decent time with them.

I just came back from Ambergris Caye and dove with Protech. First, let me start by saying that they were on-time when it came to picking me up by boat at the dock of the house we rented which a few miles down on South Beach. I recommend two divemasters as these two guys are the only two I would dive with. Minor and Brian are as professional as it comes. I did not want to dive with the two lady dive masters as the are not from the island and seem to have bad attitudes about living in paradise being polite to their customers, but that is a whole different conversation. As I talk about this operation I will use Brions and Minors names together as their quality was paralell, although I believe Brion has more experience. These fine divemasters knew what equipment size I was, how much weight I needed, and nearly my experience level as he paired me up with someone of similar scuba knowledge all before we even set fin in the water. The rented equipment(which is as good as the stuff I own) was already to go for me, and I only had to carry my mask/fins around. The tanks had a full 3000psi. and they set their time limits to the rec. planner specs, otherwise no timed dives. Their briefings were clear and accurate discriptions of the sites we dove and made me feel like I could lead based on the confidence they instilled. The dives were fantastic and we did not go to the same place twice. The fish life, visibility, and water were phonominal. After we weree finished they took me straight back to my villas dock and they handled my equipment until the next day which it was already to go for me again. Those two men make the operation 5star and I believe they need to be recognized and supported. This is not a paid advertisement and would be willing to comment further if asked The dive shops name is Protech and they are located at the Belize Yacht Club(no worries not any more expensive) Their telephone number is 011-501-226-3008 us 646-216-9955 www.protechdive.com

Howdy rescom and welcome to SB. Post an Introduction on that forum, if you'd like.

Thanks for mentioning Protech. I got to dive with them one day after 5 days on the Aqua Dives barge, and they were great. I knew that Peter was recovering from some challenges after he and his partner split up a year or so ago, and it's good to hear that they are still super. :thumb:

Further info can also be found on www.belizeforum.com

For the first trip, I'd probably aim for Caye Caulker or Ambergris. More adventure to be found in Hopkins and even more on Tobacco Caye. Your trip, your choices.

We stayed at the Tradewinds Paradise Villas both times we went, which are basically little apartments. We liked it b/c we could cook some meals at "home" and save a little money. Nice grounds and friendly staff. We did almost all our diving through Hustler, which is right in front of Tradewinds. Very nice and they do packages. They are smaller operation but helped arrange our 3 dive day at the Turneffe Atoll. WELL WORTH IT. Both can be found on the web.

I'd start with Ambergriscay.com

You cannot go wrong in Belize. It is just a fabulous place.

iluvdiving:
==============================
Very true !!

'Slogger

iluvdiving:

I'll third that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom