Help with air-filled feet in dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently bought a used dry suit off eBay. The suit generally fits well, but I'm having issues with air in the feet.

The issue isn't typical floaty feet; rather, it's that the sock/boot combo seems to be a little too big for me in some way so that the air bubble fills it out, making everything too big. It ends up feeling exactly like oversized shoes, and so my kicks are less efficient as my feet move around in everything.

I've tried different boots and the ones I'm wearing seem like the correct size. While there could be a technique issue happening, I've got my fundies cert and feel pretty good about my positioning and trim.

Has anyone been through this? Do I just need to suck it up and get smaller boots? Try gaiters or fin keepers? Or, if this really does sound like a technique issue, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

The sock size doesnt really matter that much. But the rockboots must fit, otherwise you will get to much air in the socks.

So if you thino your boots are to big, you should consider smaller ones. (they are not that expensive)

new drysuit diver, like myself this season, have problems when the knees are to high, because the air can flow directly to the feet.
I like to dive dry with a (very) small angle, so my knees are a litle bit lower then my body and air will not travel to my feet that easily.

The goal is to have the bubble in your back.

It is not uncommon to feel the fill the socks/boot of a drysuit. It is also not uncommon for one to feel like their kick is not as efficient because the air bubble causing increased space around the foot. If you have a significant amount of space and your kick is truly suffering then you should look into your options. Here are some ideas in increasing cost order:

1. Some suits and boots have a strap around the ankle that helps reduce/slow the movement of air into the feet. You can always add a strap or gaiters if your suit does not have ankle straps.

2a. Change to a tighter fitting fin.

2b. Change to a tighter fitting boot.

3. Have the socks on your suit changed to the correct size.

4. Buy a diffrent suit that fits better.

I dive a Fusion bullet and the neoprene outer skin helps slow the movement of air down my legs into the socks of my suit. I know the air is getting down there when I feel the space slightly expand around my feet, at least that how it feels, at first it seemed like it was affecting my kick but after a I got used to it, I learned it didn't really and I could manage the air in the feet by dropping a leg momentarily to let the air flow back up my leg.

If you are new to drysuit diving this maybe one of the many things you need to acclimate to as a difference between diving wet and dry. BTW, now when I switch back to my wetsuit, on the first couple of dives, I get a sensation that my legs are too floaty due to all the neoprene.

Before spending any money, see if it is just something you need to get used to....if you really had excess air filling up at your feet it could be that your fins are too big would be in jeopardy of blowing off if you become inverted...not a good situation. If you think you are not on the cusp of loosing your fins then I would bet its an acclimation issue.

-Z

I had a lot of grief with my AL Fusion Bullet Suit and included Fusion boots causing my feet to balloon just enough, often getting worse as the dive went on, resulting in slop with my Jetfins. I could feel my feet rotating around inside the boot constantly. The Fusion boots are stretchy neoprene and only had an ankle Velcro strap.

I believe what happens is a combination of fin foot pocket and dry suit foot / boot not working well together. You might get lucky and have a boot that fits snugly into the fin pocket to keep all the bits constrained. Or you might be unlucky like me. If your issue is foot fitment like me then I don’t think gaiters won’t help as air will get into your feet eventually.

My optimal solution was to dispense with the Fusion boots and use Evo 4 laced rock boots to better control the air pocket. I also had to go up a size in fins to accommodate the chunkier boot. I lace the boots fairly snug, but like to leave the upper eyelets open to get a little more ankle mobility for frog kicks as they are mid-tops.

I wear a 4th element sock and wool socks and my feet don’t get cold. It took some time and expense to figure this but it has solved my issue. The Jetfins could fit a little snugger to be perfect, but I can live with it.

I had a lot of grief with my AL Fusion Bullet Suit and included Fusion boots causing my feet to balloon just enough, often getting worse as the dive went on, resulting in slop with my Jetfins. I could feel my feet rotating around inside the boot constantly. The Fusion boots are stretchy neoprene and only had an ankle Velcro strap.

Maybe there was a change to the fusion boots but the ones I have are canvas not neoprene. Mine fit well and they are low enough profile that I did not need to change fins when I started diving dry. I did however start with a size 11 fusion boot and found it too big and was able to exchange them for a size 10 that fit great.

I will add that the fusion boots are minimalistic and do not provide much support for the ankle or the arch of the foot and the only way to tighten them is with the velcro strap around the ankle at the top of the foot. They are more of a canvas bootie than an a boot. They work for me but the local dives I do have easy entry/exit points so I have been benefitting from the low profile that allows me to keep using the same fins I use with my wetsuit. The fusion boots are becoming harder to source as their lack of support gets them unfavorable reviews, so when they wear out I will be looking for something else and will most likely need new fins too.

OP:
Since your suit has socks...unless they are thick neoprene type socks and you have lots of excess material that bunches up and is uncomfortable, then look at your boots and fins for a solution. The socks on the Whites/Aqualung fusion drysuits are huge, and they do not cause me any issues, but they are a thinner membrane type fabric like the rest of the suit....switching to a slightly smaller boot made my setup feel less sloppy in the feet both in and out of the water.

-Z

Since your suit has socks...unless they are thick neoprene type socks and you have lots of excess material that bunches up and is uncomfortable, then look at your boots and fins for a solution. The socks on the Whites/Aqualung fusion drysuits are huge, and they do not cause me any issues, but they are a thinner membrane type fabric like the rest of the suit....switching to a slightly smaller boot made my setup feel less sloppy in the feet both in and out of the water.

The suit is an oldish DUI CLX450, so if I'm not mistaken the feet are polyester/rubber trilam. I'm using the Bare Trek boots over them. And yes, I do have a fair amount of excess material, but it really seems like the boots contain everything pretty well. I'll put everything on tomorrow and really go over it all in fine detail.

Maybe there was a change to the fusion boots but the ones I have are canvas not neoprene. Mine fit well and they are low enough profile that I did not need to change fins when I started diving dry.
They are indeed the canvas-looking material I remember as a bit stretchy and probably mixed that up with the description of new Fusion 2 which is neoprene. Regardless, the instep was so stretchy and Ill-fitting even after dropping down a size and playing with foot inserts I gave up on them. I’m glad they work for you, and a nice bonus on keeping the same size fins.

That reminds me, did you keep the plastic foot inserts? I found they made things slippery so I didn’t use them.

I'd call it canvassy neoprene coarse lycra type stuff, but that's the Aqualung boot
I appreciate the inserts locking the sock into the boot so I sanded mine coarseish

Time, layers on the foot, and heavier fins worked for me.

My boots are a size or 2 too big. I have 2 layers on my feet, but experience and heavy fins and I can manage the bubble a lot better than in the beginning.

It took me a few dives to get comfortable in a drysuit. Now I can't imagine a wetsuit.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom