Help...Wife doesn't want me to dive on vacation.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love this board! :07:

Thanks to Brad and Linda for the great suggestions on the Lion Safari, and zoo.

We are headed to FL in June, and while my wife is great about allowing me dive time (I plan on at LEAST 12 dives over a couple weeks) it's awesome to hear from others suggestions on things to do that are fun for the entire family.

My Cuz lives in Ft. Pierce, and the suggestions on things to do in WPB which is close to where we will be staying part of the time are greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Keep in mind, if you are headed to WPB, you don't have to go out on a boat.. 100 yards off shore is a shallow reef that is quite hard to miss and a great shallow dive that the family can be around for as well. Why? They can play and enjoy the beach and still see your dive flag off shore, and with a max depth of about 18' on the first reef, you can get in a LONG dive. Now, my wife and I are both divers and depending on who is with us we either trade baby sitting of their kids and ours so we can dive together or we'll dive with different buddies and alternate dives and kid watching. Who knows, when your down I might be able to sneak over that way with the fam and we can catch a dive together. Your wife could even snorkel over the reef :D

Hey, there's a few us here in Fort Pierce/ Port St lucie. Maybe it would help if we all went out for a bite to eat together, we have kids too (mine are even old enough to babysit). If you want to dive on the boat with me in WPB (Palm Beach Dive Charters) we can put your wife on as a bubble watcher. My Captain is a very easy going guy, just yesterday we had a few kids on board hanging out, he even let the little one drive the boat. If there's anything we can do to help, let me know.

Looking forward to seeing ya'll down here..

CrazyBobC,
Yup! I can relate. I signed my wife up for classes shortly after we moved to Florida. That was in 1990. She got certified and shortly there after she got pregnant. Needlesss to say... she never went diving again. For my son's 12th birthday, I signed him up for lessons. Shortly after that, I signed my 10 yr old daughter up for lessons (the one she was pregnant for in '90-'91).. and as soon as my back is strong enough to go diving again, I'm going to finish the O/W dives with my 10 yr old son to get him certified. So... I now have my dive buddies. So now when we go on vacations... I dive with the kids... my wife goes shopping...

Good luck...

Al

Uncle Pug:
Yes.

If you sacrifice this dive (quietly, joyfully, willingly and without murmuring or sulking) you will be wise. Enjoy your family and have fun with them on vacation. Be thankful that you are not spending the time in a children's hospital with a terminally ill child.

And later you will reap additional rewards as well.

I don't allow my wife to have such power over me (don't have kids either), but this man is right ^^^^. She will feel so quilty afterwards, she will let you go diving a hundred times. Funny how these things works.........

small disclosure...... I'm often in the dog house at my place so I'm not saying nothing about diving without her...lol....

CRAZYBOBC:
Ok I will be in Orlando for a week in May. I wanted to trek to WPB for a 2 tank dive. Wife isn't happy about that, I should be with the family (3 yr old son and 9 mo old daughter). Anyway my idea was to bring them all to WPB while I dive she could take the minivan and do whatever. So here is the question what could she do with the 2 kids for the 4 hours or so I will be on the 2 tank dive. Unfortunately the beach is out, kids to young. Any other suggestions or am I being selfish. I know there is a hot air balloon festival on Monday near WPB anybody know about it or ever been. That could work its on a Monday what dive shop should I use, thats open Monday. Any other suggestions. Does anyone else have this problem on family vacations.

WPB and places South really are a trek from Orlando. You would probably want to dedicate up to 2 days out of the week for the 2 tank dive. For starters, that 4 hours is very wishful thinking, figure more like 6-7 hours. Let's say the boat leaves at 8:30. If you are going to rent gear, or are not familiar with the dive op, you want to get there early. The boat might get in as late as 1:30. You have to return that rental gear, etc, etc. Then when you are finally all washed up and back with the family you are going to want to take a nap :)

Someone else has already mentioned it. I know several very experienced DMs and Insts who have driven from South Florida to Orlando just to do that swim with the fish thing at Epcot (or Disney I'm not sure). I think thet got to do a feeding. It really made a big impression on them.

Heck - you might make the long drive from Orlando to WPB only to learn that it is too rough for the boat to go out. You won't have that problem in Orlando.

reading all this thread makes me realize how lucky I am. My husband and I got certified together and we are equally passionate about diving. It is OUR hobby, together, buddies, part of our marriage, something special we share. In fact, we have a dive trip as our anniversary present to each other and try to dive on our anniversary every year. this year is our 20th and we plan to spend some time underwater together.

I just hope that the original poster for this thread can find something to share with his spouse, diving or something else, but something that is just for you and your spouse, a bond - trust me, those kids can become a wall between you. Just my 2 cents.

robint

robint:
reading all this thread makes me realize how lucky I am. My husband and I got certified together and we are equally passionate about diving. It is OUR hobby, together, buddies, part of our marriage, something special we share. In fact, we have a dive trip as our anniversary present to each other and try to dive on our anniversary every year. this year is our 20th and we plan to spend some time underwater together.

I just hope that the original poster for this thread can find something to share with his spouse, diving or something else, but something that is just for you and your spouse, a bond - trust me, those kids can become a wall between you. Just my 2 cents.

robint

Do you have a sister? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom