Help...Wife doesn't want me to dive on vacation.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CRAZYBOBC

Reaction score
Ok I will be in Orlando for a week in May. I wanted to trek to WPB for a 2 tank dive. Wife isn't happy about that, I should be with the family (3 yr old son and 9 mo old daughter). Anyway my idea was to bring them all to WPB while I dive she could take the minivan and do whatever. So here is the question what could she do with the 2 kids for the 4 hours or so I will be on the 2 tank dive. Unfortunately the beach is out, kids to young. Any other suggestions or am I being selfish. I know there is a hot air balloon festival on Monday near WPB anybody know about it or ever been. That could work its on a Monday what dive shop should I use, thats open Monday. Any other suggestions. Does anyone else have this problem on family vacations.

Could leave them all at home and go diving, but then that gets expensive splitting up the assets and all. Don't suppose the threat it'self would work.

Let's see, you want 4 hours to do something you really enjoy, but she doesn't respect your need to dive? Who is being selfish? Time to divide the assets.

Go to the http://www.westpalmbeach.com website and see what you can find to do. I'd think sitting by the pool, with a cold drink in hand, kid in playpen, would be an okay four hours, but then my wife says, "Go diving" any time I want. Good Luck.

The hot air balloon festival probably isn't going to be much entertainment for them unless you are diving at dusk or dawn, that is when they fly. Even if they have rides or such they probably won't be running during the day. Other suggestions, sorry.

CRAZYBOBC:
am I being selfish
Yes.

If you sacrifice this dive (quietly, joyfully, willingly and without murmuring or sulking) you will be wise. Enjoy your family and have fun with them on vacation. Be thankful that you are not spending the time in a children's hospital with a terminally ill child.

And later you will reap additional rewards as well.

I did the same thing in February -- Drove over to WPB for a 2-tank dive. Fortunately my wife is cool with my occasional diversions. She took my 2-year old daughter to the beach while I was underwater. If you speak from direct experience, that's fine, but I don't think a 9-month old is too young for the beach. We took ours to Sarasota younger than that, but we didn't also have a 3-year old to keep an eye on.

Coming from the northeast, I understand the urge to dive warm water when you're so close. I hope you can work something out that everyone is happy with.

Of course you could instead go to Epcot DiveQuest and your wife and children can watch you through the glass.

Good luck,
Nate.

CRAZYBOBC:
Ok I will be in Orlando for a week in May. I wanted to trek to WPB for a 2 tank dive. Wife isn't happy about that, I should be with the family (3 yr old son and 9 mo old daughter). Anyway my idea was to bring them all to WPB while I dive she could take the minivan and do whatever. So here is the question what could she do with the 2 kids for the 4 hours or so I will be on the 2 tank dive. Unfortunately the beach is out, kids to young. Any other suggestions or am I being selfish. I know there is a hot air balloon festival on Monday near WPB anybody know about it or ever been. That could work its on a Monday what dive shop should I use, thats open Monday. Any other suggestions. Does anyone else have this problem on family vacations.

and I'm strongly considering... ok... you go your way and I'll go mine.

BIGSAGE136:
Drastic times call for drastic measures. A stay at the Breakers...OUCH! A way to go diving....Priceless.

http://thebreakers.com/

This is funny, but so so true.

I normally try to plan all my vacations, so as to include some scuba. The best time to dive is early in the morning when everyone else is still asleep. You can meet them at the pool at noon, when your boat gets back.

You are going to need to make it up to your spouse, somehow. Jewelry? Shopping spree? Yah, shopping spree! That is drastic too, but it works. That is when YOU watch the kids. Just remember the art of negotiation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom