Help welcome Conchdivers.com new webmaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The database currently has three objects: Sites, Dive Shops, and Charters. Each has an address (offshore sites will have gps coords), and the intention is to link to mapquest so that users can get a map, and get directions from their own house.

Sites can be linked (many to many) with Charters and with (again, many to many) shops.

Users (registered) will be able to enter reviews of shops and charters, and enter dive reports, with specific information (weather, water temp) requested so that we can hopefully begin building year-round averages.

Sites will have categories that they may reside in (ie, fresh, cave, cavern, boat, shore, etc) and may reside in more than one category.

I have done some work calculating geographical distances, but that requires data that (to my knowledge) must be purchased. Specifically, a database that gives latitute and longitude for the epicenter of each zip code. It's cake from there. If I can get the resourses, I may even have the code already lying around, and can include that functionality.

The database is roughed out, and I'm waiting on a response from Tech Admin. Once I've got a few questions answered, I'll be starting on the next phase, which is either to start writing stored procedures or design pages to enter data into these tables. At that point, we'll be needing some people to start entering sites and such, while the rest of the interface is being put together.

At least, that's the plan so far :)

Colin? Jenny?

cra2:
I'm not familiar with this project so I dunno if this has already been suggested or not, but...
If you're cataloging all the info on the Fla sites to dive, I'd appreciate those being sortable by region, county, and even zip. I'd like to be able to punch in my zip and be given a list of sites in order from nearest to farthest with a little one-line synopsis describing it, and a rating (by members), and a date out next to it telling us when that particular site's entry was last updated.
Then, when you click on the site, you get the full description, maps, fees, photos, etc. and trip reports updated by the users.

Just some stuff I had considered working on recently myself since I couldn't seem to find any such resource online.

Am considering doing the same for "Trails" in Florida (paddling, hiking, biking, horse) since I haven't found an adequate one of those either. Unless, anyone knows of one I missed?

ReefGuy:
The database currently has three objects: Sites, Dive Shops, and Charters. Each has an address (offshore sites will have gps coords), and the intention is to link to mapquest so that users can get a map, and get directions from their own house.

Sites can be linked (many to many) with Charters and with (again, many to many) shops.

Users (registered) will be able to enter reviews of shops and charters, and enter dive reports, with specific information (weather, water temp) requested so that we can hopefully begin building year-round averages.

Sites will have categories that they may reside in (ie, fresh, cave, cavern, boat, shore, etc) and may reside in more than one category.

I have done some work calculating geographical distances, but that requires data that (to my knowledge) must be purchased. Specifically, a database that gives latitute and longitude for the epicenter of each zip code. It's cake from there. If I can get the resourses, I may even have the code already lying around, and can include that functionality.

The database is roughed out, and I'm waiting on a response from Tech Admin. Once I've got a few questions answered, I'll be starting on the next phase, which is either to start writing stored procedures or design pages to enter data into these tables. At that point, we'll be needing some people to start entering sites and such, while the rest of the interface is being put together.

At least, that's the plan so far :)

Colin? Jenny?

110% behind you with the database Jeff! Please review the sticky I created and tell me if it needs to be edited to better accomodate what your database is being designed to do. :D

Thanks for the link. It's kinda like what we're thinking.

GrierHPharmD:
You may want to look at www.shorediving.com. They have pretty nice survey tool and a decent interface. I'd like to see a little more structure, though, with things such as directions, photos, etc. and the sorting functionality that you mention.

I can't wait to contribute!

-G

ReefGuy:

For these offshore sites, they'll somehow have an attribute connecting them to the nearest city/port that services them, right? GPS alone won't do me any good for now.

Instead of seeing "SS Minnow (64'): 143.2n 212.8e"
I need to see "SS Minnow (64'): Lantana"

Is there a more appropriate thread or discussion board for this?

They will be linked to each dive shop/charter that takes trips there.

cra2:
For these offshore sites, they'll somehow have an attribute connecting them to the nearest city/port that services them, right? GPS alone won't do me any good for now.

cra2:

cra2 - This is a great place to bring this up. Jeff is our DB guy, soooo, no better place and time than the present to help hammer out what will be most appropriate for our group :D

cra2:
you're a god-send! can I hug you?!
:10:
Only if you are good at giving hugs! Oh wait a minute, any hug is a good hug, so of course you can, but you have to come on down here...and maybe do a dive or two first...or later....!

Way to go Jeff,

I'm sure you'll be a great asset to the FCD website.....

Wildbill:cop_2:

congratz, reefguy!

H2Andy:
congratz, reefguy!
He took the words out "o" my mouth....gongrats!

Now point me to meg teeth, Mr Wizard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom