Help! We fund a training grant for young divers...(not junior diver)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divergal80

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
with at least NAUI training/certifying requirements in mind. One of our scholarship winners, a entering freshman in college, wants to use it for SDI training and, although I'm a L.A. County/NAUI/CMAS instructor (now retired), I don't know the difference in minimum standards. Can anyone help with this question? Need the info asap, natch!

I was on the L.A. County committee who helped establish them in the 80's! I was looking for higher standards of training and wondering if SDI had higher number of class hours, pool hours, ocean dives for certification and what their progression of courses looked like...I'll try to check out the manual, thanks!

SDI, as a member of the (W)RSTC: WRSTC Member Councils adheres to at least their minimum standards. For example, here are the RSTC minimum standards for Open Water: http://www.wrstc.com/downloads/03 - Open Water Diver.pdf

Also, if you google “SDI instructor manual pdf” you’ll find some instructor manuals that, while a bit out-of-date, give much more detail.

I am confused as to just exactly what is your question?

If you are attempting to locate a program equal to LA Co --there is none and at his late date will never be one.

PM your name and UICC

SDM

I'm just not very familiar with SDI standards, that's the question - I'm looking for a course that has similar standards to L.A.Co. and NAUI - and I don't know anything about SDI, was hoping for some instructors to chime in here, perhaps I'm in the wrong place? I'd love to hear from instructors that have both SDI and NAUI certifications.
Hope to see you one of these days soon???!!!

I am confused as to just exactly what is your question?

If you are attempting to locate a program equal to LA Co --there is none and at his late date will never be one.

PM your name and UICC

SDM

SDI standards are, like NAUI's, minimum standards. I am an SDI instructor and what I like about them is that they not only allow but encourage the introduction of other materials, skills to suit the local environment, and instructors have the final say over who gets a card. We can add skills and materials.

Now like any modern agency the instructor can make or break the course.

That said I am also an SEI (Scuba Educators International) instructor. That evolved, if you will, out of the YMCA Scuba Program. The standards for it are essentially the same as the old Y program with rescue skills, deco table use, etc. Some of the skills have actually been strengthened. The difference I see is that we are not only encouraged to add material and skills, but we are also REQUIRED to do that, by standards, to suit local conditions and insure diver comfort and safety. Required hours are 16 hours classroom face to face, 16 hours pool. Plus checkout dives.

But there are not that many of us.

The best way to handle this is simple. Get the name of the shop or instructor they want to use and interview them. Make sure that the student is being taught to YOUR standards. They can be if the shop or instructor chooses to do so. If they don't, deny the payment and require the student to find another instructor.

Hi Jim, this is really helpful, but unfortunately she doesn't mention SEI (I was also a YMCA instructor) - how do the SDI minimum standards compare of those of SEI which sound really good. She a young 17-year old girl in Florida. She has $500 to spend on training and $500 on gear - she can take more than entry-level if that is less money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom