Help w/ difference in PST yokes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O'Malley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just returned home with my new PST E7-100 and noticed a differnce in Yokes. Yeah, I'm showing my newbieness here with this one...but is there something I need to do, reconfigure.

The first photo is the tank I've been diving and the second, the tank just purchased. When hooking up my regulator to the newly purchased tank, I get an initial loud pop when turning the air on. What gives?

IMG_1259_edited-1-1.jpg

IMG_1260_edited-1.jpg

Alright, after some research...

While the first photo depicts the E7-100 with the Thermo Pro 5651-3442, the second depicts an E7-100 newly outfitted with the Thermo Pro 5654-3442. The purple O-ring is to readily identify the tank as EAN ready and, according to the manufacturer's specs, has improved lower temperature characteristics. Regarding the loud pop when hooking up my regulator, this has been eliminated by securing the first stage a tad more tightly; different valve models...slightly different set-up.

Thermo in an effort to meet CE standards made the insert with the smaller hex key opening. The CE standard published was just plain not working (the o-ring could fall out) and those inserts, while not a safety hazard, where replaced under warranty. See any authorized Thermo dealer and they will be able to exchange the insert at no charge.

So that what you need to look for in the latest insert are:

1/4" hex key
standard o-ring
a dimple in the o-ring groove (this allows compressed air to escape without blowing out the o-ring)

Lee
www.seapearls.com

We dive 4 E7-80s with DIN regulators and I usually run the donuts in for the dive shop yoke fill whips.

For a recent dive trip we got yoke adapters and when I tried them at home on my E7s I got the popping and in some cases flat out leaks. I had always snugged the donuts lightly but I found that I needed to seat them very lightly to prevent skewing the inserts in the threads.

With the donuts tightened lightly it worked fine and the adapters did fine on the trip on common AL80 yoke valves.

So if the connection is acting up make sure the donuts are not highly torqued and that the O ring in in good shape.

Pete

Based on Lee's description and my own experiences of getting the inserts replaced, I believe that the top picture is the "newer" insert.

ae3753:
Based on Lee's description and my own experiences of getting the inserts replaced, I believe that the top picture is the "newer" insert.

Top picture is the original style-it uses a MM hex key and a larger o-ring.

The second picture is of the CE insert

Lee

Thanks for all your feedback; I'll give the LDS a call to have the insert replaced.

Back
Top Bottom