HELP, Underwater Snorkel Trail Signage Material Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lilli

New
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum so please let me know if I'm in the wrong place. I'm looking for information on the type of materials best suited for permanent under water signage.

It's for an underwater snorkel/dive trail in the Caribbean that will showcase fish species and underwater archaeology. Each sign will be mounted in concrete and placed underwater.

What material will Coral least adhere to? I know there will be some maintenance but if we can get the material right from the start, then we'll be much better off in the long run. Plastic, PVC, Glass???

Thanks
Lilli

Try a fiberglass sign and use boat bottom paint. Then you will be able to easily wipe the signs clean from time to time. The signs would need to be brought to the surface every couple of years to be repainted.

Personally, I find the whole idea of someone putting a bunch of signs on the reef reprehensible.

I'd think it would be better to hand out slates with notations on what and where that the snorkelers would need to return to keep down the litter. Charge a small deposit on each one and retain a portion of it to cover the cost of them. If you are going to add something to a reef it should be with the idea of promoting coral growth, not retarding it in any way. First thing you know the signs will get knocked over further damaging the reef, the people who have to maintain them by bringing them to the surface for cleaning would kill still more fragile life forms, and if you put the signs down there more than few idiots will want to have their picture taken by them. That means them diving down and crashing into the reef, standing on it, and yet more destruction.

This sounding like a terrible idea more and more. Where is it going to be so we can start a campaign to get it stopped by whatever government would have jurisdiction?

The danger to the reef has been mentioned and is of paramount consideration.

Seems like you would better off puttingvtogether a site specific Fish-ID and Site Guidebook with pictures. The can be used top side during a briefing on the site.

They can be as simple as a word doc folded into a booklet format or a more expensive bound book.

Who wants to see signs? Have you ever been to a historic site (land or water) and found it hard to imagine what it was truly like because of signs?

They get in the way of photos and videos, too.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom