Help?? Something fell off the top of my Mares MR42t but I don't know what it is.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aslam

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello... this is my first time posting on SB so please take it easy on me if I am posting in the wrong topic, although I think I am not.

I bought my first regulator a couple of months back from a local Mares Dealer just before heading to Koh Tao, Thailand for a month of diving. I bought an Abyss MR42t.

Everything was going really well with the reg. I liked the way it breathed and I really appreciated knowing that it was my reg and not rental gear. However one morning, about 15-20 dives into using it, I noticed that something had fallen off the top of my 1st stage. I noticed this because suddenly when I looked into the top of the 1st stage, I could see the spring which I had previously not been able to see.

I took it to the Mares Dealer on the island and when he looked at it he said that everything looked OK with the unit and that it was normal to see the spring. That is the same thing that the shop where I bought it from told me a couple of days ago when I showed it to them after coming back home. However I know that there was something in the top of the reg which prevented me from seeing the spring when I bought it.

Initially I thought it may have been the CWD but I've been told that if that had fallen off, then the reg would have stopped working. As well I've been told that the CWD is not just something that sits in the hole on the top of the 1st stage but is something that fits over the top of the 1st stage.

So does anyone have any ideas as to what could have fallen out of the top of the 1st stage of my reg? What part am I missing?

I've tried to find pictures online to see what it would have looked like, but all the pics on Google Images and the Mares website are side shots of the 1st stage and none looking down the top of it. I have a pic of it after the thing fell off where you can see the spring. I will attach that pic to this thread.

IMG_0406.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have a pic of it before the mystery part fell off. Hopefully someone here can help me figure out what that part is.

Any help you fine folks can provide would be thoroughly appreciated because as of now, they are telling me it is fine and this is the way it would have come but I know it didn't come this way.

Thanks.
Aslam

Looks perfectly fine to me.
Maybe the something that fell off shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Hello Aslam,

If no one comes up with an answer here, you might try in the Mares forum Mares... Just add Water!

Here is a page that has a few images: Mares MR42t - Google Search

I cannot tell from the photo you posted photo, but could you have simply lost the dust cap?

Good luck,

Couv

From the schematic, you can see that there is nothing on top of the retaining nut (#18, orange arrow). Anything that was there should not have been.

Attachments

• mares.jpg
    mares.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 870
Looks exactly the same as mine.

Could it have been a dust cover used in shipping perhaps?

Hello Aslam,

If no one comes up with an answer here, you might try in the Mares forum Mares... Just add Water!

Here is a page that has a few images: Mares MR42t - Google Search

I cannot tell from the photo you posted photo, but could you have simply lost the dust cap?

Good luck,

Couv

Im thinking dust cap as well, it's possible that it wasn't placed between the screw and the yoke, just on the screw itself. Is the dust cap still there?

Back
Top Bottom