Help Please - 1st underwater camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagibbon

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

On a recent diving trip I decided at last to hire a camera for a couple of days - I'd wanted to for a long time, having plenty of other peoples photos/picutres on the walls at home, but none of my own.
The camera I borrowed was a Nikonos V with a strobe, and I was given pretty brief instructions on how to use it.
As you would expect I did not have high expectations of even producing one decent photograph from the 4 films I shot - hence was pleasantly surprised when I turned up at the developers to hear the girl behind the counter say 'oh are these your underwater pictures -they're great'.
Well I wouldn't have gone that far - but I am mightily chuffed to have some photos, and I can say "I was there" - a permanent record of my diving trip and would now like to buy a camera and take as many pictures as possible.

I decided to investigate buying a Nikonos V with it being the only camera I'd used - but found out that they've been discontinued so I guess probably not a good idea from a spare parts point of view.
So......
Now comes the help bit. What on earth do I buy? See I know that's a pretty difficult question to answer, but I guess I'm open to suggestions. The only thing I would say is I don't want to have to take a mortgage out to pay for it !!
Many Thanks,

Ben.

Have you considered digital cameras? I went from a S&S MX-10 (2 years), to a S&S MMIIexPro (4 years) to the current Olympus C-4040z with a Oly PT-010 housing and S&S YS90-DX strobe for about $1500. That total will be cheaper now as the cameras have gone down in price.

Thanks very much Dee.
I have half thought about Digital Cameras yes, to be honest that would interest me more, working in IT anyway - will go and investigate the setup you mentioned for example - thanks.
Are there any shops you would specifically recommend ? friendly advice etc.

Hi,

I was in the same spot last summer when I decided to buy a new camera. I got an Olympus 3040Zoom with an underwater housing and used it at Turks & Caicos. I am very pleased with the result - digital is really now the way to go. (Although I have to confess that my photos are nowhere as good as the pics of Dees, which I saw on another posting: they are FABULOUS!)

If I may intrude, I would like to ask Dee a question that may be interesting for you, too: Dee, how DO you get so close to the fish and other wildlife? Most of my pics seem to be of "fish in the distance". Do you just sit and wait for them to come to you or do you use a special lens? Thanks.

I am curious because I am headed off to Cadaques in northeastern Spain at the end of the summer and I can't wait to get some more photos!

Scubagibbon - hope you enjoy your new camera!

Trish :jester:

Gibbon - Dee and Tricia are absolutely right, IMHO.

I had a similar experience to yourself. Tried a camera on my AOW course and loved the results. I consulted Ocean Optics in London, who may be accessible to you, but have a good website anyway. http://www.oceanoptics.co.uk/menu.htm

If you can get to the store - Charing Cross area - they will happily spend ages discussing options with you - no pressure to buy. They really care about you leaving satisfied.

I finished up with a similar solution to the ladies. An Olympus PT-005 housing (about 250 pounds) and then bought the Olympus Camedia 3020 (about 320 pounds, if you can get to Tottenham Court Road - a bit more elsewhere)

Read a review of the camera at http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/c3020.html

BTW - if you're interested, some of the photos from my AOW Underwater Photo experience are at http://www.scubasource.com/travel/africa/cyprus/cyprus.html

Hope you get 'shooting' in the near future.

Mike N

Originally posted by scubagibbon
Thanks very much Dee....Are there any shops you would specifically recommend ? friendly advice etc. ...

I can't help you with shops in England! :D Shop for camera prices locally and online. If the price is close, I'd buy locally in case there was a problem.

For the PT-010 housing and S&S strobe, I can recommend Underwater Digital online. I found great prices and excellent service with them. I've got a whole list of link about the camera, strobe and housing if you're interested.

Originally posted by Tricia ....Dee, how DO you get so close to the fish and other wildlife?

Alot of it is patience! If you'll get still, the fish will come to check you out. They are very curious creatures! With the Oly C-4040 I use the zoom ALOT! The shutter lag that you'll encounter with all digital cameras can be minimized by 'tracking' the fish as you puch that shutter button.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom