Help: Photographic composition in the presence of surge.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chocula

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Took my DSLR diving yesterday. Conditions were fine for diving, but there was 5 to 8 ft of surge with some current, depending on which dive that day. Going deeper was not a practical option. I am looking for suggestions on how to deal with challenging conditions, specifically surge and current where I may have only a very brief opportunity for a shot.

I felt like I was participating in "Jogging Photography" a la Yes Man. Macro seemed impossible, I was frequently picking larger, static subjects and shooting from the hip as I went past, hoping for something crop-able. When I tried to setup a shot through the viewfinder, I kept having to abandon the shot to keep a safe distance from the reef. I could use the viewfinder for the "fly over" shots, but this is not what I am attempting to achieve. I am still new to the DSLR underwater, so it takes me a moment to setup everything. I am currently shooting in manual for the camera and using TTL with a single strobe.

I am including a couple of shots with no post production aside from converting to .jpg using the settings as they were in camera. These should provide a baseline as to my current abilities. The first is the best I was able to achieve that day without post processing. The second was more typical of what I got, horrible composition in camera, but maybe something I can crop. I like the composition on the last one, but I missed on the focus and should have set a smaller aperture for a larger depth of field.

DSC_0084.jpgDSC_0098.jpgDSC_0034.jpg

I am hoping for constructive comments that will help me improve my photography.

Thanks,
-Chocula

I feel for you! I wish I could post my photographs from today -- first time using two strobes, and diving in strong surge. I know the feeling of trying to do "drive-by" wide angle pictures. Although a couple of mine were reasonable, each time I would have used a slightly different aperture/shutter speed combination for a perfect shot. But when you don't get a second chance, you have to wing it.

We dive lots here (LA) and you just have to get used to the surge. If it really was 8 feet at depth, I would probably just carry my camera and look around, but usually here the swells are at long enough periods that getting some macro even is not impossible, just painful.
Bill

Toughest part is the silt from the surge. One technique is to plan your shot and set up quickly during the brief lull. It might take four or five tries to get a decent shot. Holding a good size kelp stalk can give you just enough time. I shot a kelp fish in Alaska with amazing surge and current while hanging on to the kelp as the leaf flapped back and forth and the fish kept switching sides. Not my greatest shot, but I was proud to get it at all. The fish was about 1/2" long.

Thank you for the comments.

The marine forecast indicated 5-7 foot swells at 11 or 12 seconds and right in the middle of a 5.5 foot change in the tide, which seemed consistent with the surge. Most of the first dive was spent between 15 and 18 feet deep which was where the strongest surge was felt. My deepest dive that day was 46 feet. The current was not overly strong, but enough that if I just relaxed, I would not end up over the same subject, and trying to counter the current put my body into an undesirable position for the shot.

With no current, I could see arranging the shot around where you are going to end up at the end of the surge swing. I have not developed an eye for that yet, as this did not really occur to me before I had the camera, nor was I trying to get lower than my subjects before, so now I have to be concerned with all the rocks, urchin, etc. that I am used to just hovering above. Hopefully this will develop with more experience. At this point my dives are based more on opportunity than actively planning for better conditions. Planing my trips around the tidal exchange should reduce the likelihood of current.

I was thinking that practicing more hand held macro insect shots on land might help getting used to timing the shots and get more experience. Not the same, but probably helpful none the less. Perhaps my idea of macro involving being setup, patiently waiting for my subject to move into just the right position is a bit unrealistic. Another though might be to look for subjects a little higher in the kelp so they move with me.

I have seen some amazing shots taken in California waters and I am just in awe of not only the vision, but the skill involved.

-Chocula

I have seen some amazing shots taken in California waters and I am just in awe of not only the vision, but the skill involved.

Yeah. When you look at what Max Bottomtime, Merry, and my old friend Mo2vation can do . . . I'm in awe.

Eight feet surge? I would have gone home for the day. I call dives if the surge is more than three feet. In large swells it would be nearly impossible to get shots in the top twenty feet unless you are shooting jellies or other objects moving the same as you. Fortunately the only corals we have in California are small cup corals that look more like anemones. I admit to touching reefs, sand and kelp to get shots.

It's pretty tough getting anything other than a lucky shot in those conditions. But as with most things, the more you do it, the luckier you get. Larry's advice is spot on... plan from afar, execute, adjust, repeat. Just try not to end up sticking you viewfinder through your mask, or slamming your port into a rock...

Unlike Phil and Merry, I mostly shoot macro stuff, nudie, shrimps, crabs etc. and find that hanging on to something with all appendages usually helps. I occasionally shoot Nudibranchs on a stage and last weekend at San Miguel at 50 feet there was enough surge to completely flip over a 6 inch x 6 inch x 1/4 inch aluminum block but I did get this image between sets. It is a little (1/3 inch maybe) amphipod that I thought was a shrimp but my wife suggests that it isn't. I was busily shooting a Hilton's when this guy jumped onto the stage and basically said, "please take my picture" so I did.

san miguel shrimp.jpg
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom