Help needed: choosing wetsuit with looser collar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, all,

I'm a new diver. I currently own the Pinnacle Cruiser 5mm Women's Jumpsuit, and find it extremely uncomfortable (tight) around the neck. I was hoping that i will eventually get used to it, but after a couple dives, its just diving me crazy. Anyone has recommendations on which wetsuit to purchase that has a relatively loser collar?

Thanks a lot!!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Are you saying that the neck is too tight as soon as you zip up without even cinching the neck seal with the Velcro closure? (I assume that model has the typical Velcro set-up)

If the suit has an integrated hood that's another deal. A volleyball inflated in the neck can relax that.

Lastly is fitting well but is it the rubber pulling on your skin that you feel? That's a sign of a nice glide skin seal doing it's job. Relish the warmth.

Pete

Thanks a lot for you reply.

Yup, the wetsuit has the typical Velcro set-up, but just zipping up alone makes me feel like its pressing against my trachea, especially when I'm sitting down and waiting for the dive. I can't really put it on until the very last minute before going into the water.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Do you notice it in the water as much or mostly just on the surface. If it is mostly just on the surface, I know the Waterproof 3, 5, and 7 mm suits all have a small neck zipper that you can undo for when your not in the water to losen the neck seal. I am not sure about other manufacturers but I am sure more then just one makes a suit with that feature.

John

My wife has the same issue - she HATES anything pressing on (or even lightly touching) the front of her throat. The wetsuit can be an irritant - especially above water, with the weight of the rig trying to 'slide' the wetsuit down your back and adding pressure to the front of the neck.

You could cut (carefully!) a small notch right at the throat if you're really irritated, but at the potential cost of letting water in more while diving. If it's a tropical weight suit (2-3 mm) that would probably not be bad - but in a 5 mm you want the warmth. You can try stretching the seal a little as others have suggested. You might also get some improvement from a better fit of your BCD and tank so it's not "riding down" as much - not sure how to go about that aside from making sure your shoulder straps are snug and adjusted right if you have the option of in/out (from the body centerline) points.

Otherwise, I too would suggest the Waterproof for the little 'neck zipper'. But overall Waterproofs are cut snugly, so make sure you get the correct size! We've been fighting this with my wife as well, since she's 5'9" and long in the body - too long for their XL to be comfortable in neck to crotch length.

Just another suggestion.

If you like everything else about the suit and if fits well except the neck, take it to a custom wetsuit manufacturer who can alter the neck for you by inserting a small triangle of similar thickness neoprene. I did this with some favorite booties so I could zip them more comforably over my cankles. That cost $20 and well worth it. Cheaper than replacing with something else that might have a different fit issue.

The Pinnacle is famous for that tight glideseal neck. Not only is it a bit restricting (I have a 17-1/2" neck), but the neck also seems to be cut longer than other brands (to the point where you can actually roll it down, which tightens it even further).

This is the only suit I've ever tried on with this issue. Henderson (both Goldcore and Hyperstretch - my favorite), ScubaPro, and Bare, are others that I've used that have a shorter, adjustable, more comfortable neck.

Good luck.

I have to agree that the Pinnacle neck takes quite a bit of getting used to, and I had the same problem as the OP. What it is (for me) is that the inner part is sticking to my skin and pulling, so during my SI when I had to keep my wetsuit on (it was raining) I simply put a bit of baby shampoo on the inside of the neck and the problem went away.

Ultimately I decided that the discomfort on the surface is worth it for the lack of water intrusion underwater. I never realized how much water trickled down my back with my old Henderson suit until I started wearing a Pinnacle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom