HELP - Need insurance claim advice following scuba incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MountainGirl1980

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi I am a holiday diver and completed my 7th dive in August in Menorca. The dive itself this time was fine but upon ascending I had difficulties with my right lung, and I ended up in hospital with aspirational pneumonia. A terrifying experience but I am pleased to say I am ok. My insurance company have asked for some specific information about the dive, mainly the instructors ID, a dive report and a copy of my medical form I signed. The instructor initially was very responsive to my messages and kept promising to send the information. I haven't received the information and the person has stopped responding, last time I heard from them was 18th August.

Having done a bit of research I have found they are not PADI registered and I'm not convinced they are ISS registered either. Has anyone got any advice for me on how I can get them to respond or how I can find out what organisation they are certified under? I am very concerned my insurance company is not going to cover what I expect will be a huge hospital bill.

Any help appreciated!

It might help to provide a litle more info, like the name of the diver operator/shop/instructor.
How did you determine they are not affiliated with PADI? What is ISS? did you mean SSI? Who is your your insurance policy with and what level insurance is it?

It might help to provide a litle more info, like the name of the diver operator/shop/instructor.
How did you determine they are not affiliated with PADI? What is ISS? did you mean SSI? Who is your your insurance policy with and what level insurance is it?
Thanks for your reply, the dive website is Centro de buceo en Menorca - Dive Center Menorca and the instructor is Alejandro Ramirez Carrero. I have been in touch with PADI who have confirmed they are not affiliated, the website refers to SSI ( not ISS ) so this is why I have now assumed this. My insurance policy is with Axa and I am covered under an instructor led dive up to 15m.

Well one mystery solved, thanks to @tursiops

Now that you know this shop is SSI, and they are clearly affiliated, contacting SSI might be your next step.

That much being said, what are you trying to accomplish? You're a certified diver, apparently not under instruction, and the dive was "fine". I'm thinking that the shop is not responsible for a medical event that occurred during your dive through no fault of their own.

You signed a medical form, ok.. well if you checked a box that says you have pulmonary problems you might have grounds for some sort of lawsuit because they took you diving without medical clearance. But for a Dive Op in Mexico?

Good luck

Well one mystery solved, thanks to @tursiops

Now that you know this shop is SSI, and they are clearly affiliated, contacting SSI might be your next step.

That much being said, what are you trying to accomplish? You're a certified diver, apparently not under instruction, and the dive was "fine". I'm thinking that the shop is not responsible for a medical event that occurred during your dive through no fault of their own.

You signed a medical form, ok.. well if you checked a box that says you have pulmonary problems you might have grounds for some sort of lawsuit because they took you diving without medical clearance. But for a Dive Op in Mexico?

Good luck
Think you have mis understood, I am not a qualified diver hence I only ever do try dives. I haven't blamed anyone, I had no pre-existing conditions and there is no evidence that anything medical caused this. I just don't want to bit hit with a big medical bill when I have insurance, but without the information the insurance company need they won't confirm cover me and I can't get the information from this instructor. I am not asking him to pay for anything but to just send me some information. I have been in touch with SSI but no response 6 days later. Also I am not sure they are SSI affiliated, they just mention their courses

I have to say, if I was the shop, operator or dive master -- I'd probably tell them to pound sand too.

Think you have mis understood, I am not a qualified diver hence I only ever do try dives. I haven't blamed anyone, I had no pre-existing conditions and there is no evidence that anything medical caused this. I just don't want to bit hit with a big medical bill when I have insurance

Ok then you are not a "vacation diver" which is defined as a diver who is certified, but only dives perhaps 1-2 weeks per year on vacations. That's probably 85% of divers.

No clue what information you'd get from the dive shop that would result in your health insurance company covering your expenses. Sounds like you're trying to find a way to get the dive shop to help pay for your expenses and there's nothing wrong with that but my unqualified unprofessional opinion is that the dive shop isn't responsible for your medical event. If they ran over you with the dive boat that might be another story.

Ok then you are not a "vacation diver" which is defined as a diver who is certified, but only dives perhaps 1-2 weeks per year on vacations. That's probably 85% of divers.

No clue what information you'd get from the dive shop that would result in your health insurance company covering your expenses. Sounds like you're trying to find a way to get the dive shop to help pay for your expenses and there's nothing wrong with that but my unqualified unprofessional opinion is that the dive shop isn't responsible for your medical event. If they ran over you with the dive boat that might be another story.
i'm not trying to get them to pay, I just need them to confirm the details of the dive so my insurance company knows I dived within the boundary of my coverage. Not sure why everyone is being so harsh to me? I have already stated I'm not blaming anyone

Back
Top Bottom