Help narrowing down the fin search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abehunt,

If you are on a budget ask your LDS about their rental fleet. I know a few people that have gotten some great deals buying used or demos from your LDS.

You are going to find a lot of opinions about fins. So here is mine:

#1) What is most important is what works for you. Try every fin you can. Most people I have found will let you kick around in their fins. There are lots of details that make even fins that seem similar very different (like the shape, width, and height of the foot pocket. Every fin out there is perfect for somebody you just need to your “perfect pair”.

#2) The “latest” technology isn’t always noticeably better. As you can see with previous post many people like their Jets. My father thinks they are still the best fin ever made and he has tried many of the new fins. I have the Mares Quattros (not the newest ones) and the previous generation fins that the Quattros replaced and to be honest I cant tell the difference in performance. They did improve the strap and buckle system and I upgraded my old ones to match. I picked up my Quattros for under $30 on Craig’s List.

#3) Relating to some of your specific comments: Many of the people that do not like the Quattros say they don’t because the Quattros require too much power and are too tiring on their legs and hips. I have never had this problem and I like having the power and speed I get with my Mares. I am a heavy guy and came from skin diving (I grew up trying to dive down to my father who was scuba diving) and have very powerful legs. So if you have strong legs this may be good for you. A friend of mine, who is a marathon runner and in incredible shape, tried my old fins and cramped up pretty bad. I also don’t know if different fins unconsciously changes the way you kick.

Good Luck,
Soggy

I just ordered a pair of Scuba Pro Jetfins from Leisure Pro for $64. Tried them on but have not used in water. Hoping for the best....read great things about them. They are about 4 inches shorter than my old Beauchat fins but I like blade fins and do alot of frog kicking so I hope I made a good purchase?

hope they work well for you :)

if you want to try spring straps without the expense or breaking the strap hardware, you can always use 1/2" bungee cord (just buy a bungee strap from the hardware store) to see what they are like - though SS spring straps are more comfortable and longer lasting imo.

abehunt:
I dive the majority of the time from the beaches along the southern cali coast and spend a lot of time kicking out through the surf and currents so I need some power. I have tried several different fins already but nothing has really been better then the rest. I am a very strong swimmer and on a budget. I know I want an open heel and I am not a big fan of split or bio fins. Any info to narrow down the search would be helpful

Get a pair of used jetfins off ebay, preferably a pair with a lightning bolt across the S-logo. If you like them, then add spring straps. If you don't, then sell them again are you can probably get more or less what you paid for them (if you got for a good deal initially that is) minus shipping.

The foot pockets on them suck, but otherwise they rock. Great for frog and back kicks. They are the fins of choice for most DIR divers.

Back
Top Bottom