Help! My S&S YS90DX won't turn on!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
It's been in storage for almost a year, without the batteries, it was working perfectly. The contacts look clean but it won't come on. I've tried several newly charged sets of batteries to eliminate that possibility. I've tried the Pre and ON settings both.

I've got 4 weeks from today before I leave for Roatan so I don't have time to send it anywhere unless there's a S&S repair facility in Houston, but I don't know of one.

Any ideas?

I know you stored it well, but you might want to put it in a big zip lock with a couple of puoches of silica for a day or two.....Just a thought

With only 4 weeks to go how about checking out any of the major camera repair shops in Houston. Hopefully some tech that is good with strobes can also trouble shoot underwater ones.

Check The Battery Contacts on the battery compartment cover. They can get caught on a battery tab as the cover is turned to lock it into place. They then wont make contact with the battery. If any of the contacts looks raised or twisted, then this is the problem. You can fix it by straightening out and flattening the contact slightly. It happened to me once, freaked me out till I saw the problem.

Good Luck!

The battery cap's contacts looked sort of flat so I bent them upwards just a bit and I cleaned the contacts at the other end, even thjough they didn't look corroded. It didn't help. The guys on DDN have suggested I try a new set of alkaline batteries. A couple of them have had the same problem..their strobes just decided not to like NiMH! So tomorrow I'll get some new batteriesand see if that helps.

If all else fails, I'll do like I advise new Photogs to do....I'll use the internal flash and learn just what the 5050 will do by itself! I have had a very generous off of a loaner YS90DX...now THAT's a diving buddy!

Update later tomorrow

Dee:
The battery cap's contacts looked sort of flat so I bent them upwards just a bit and I cleaned the contacts at the other end, even thjough they didn't look corroded. It didn't help. The guys on DDN have suggested I try a new set of alkaline batteries. A couple of them have had the same problem..their strobes just decided not to like NiMH! So tomorrow I'll get some new batteriesand see if that helps.

If all else fails, I'll do like I advise new Photogs to do....I'll use the internal flash and learn just what the 5050 will do by itself! I have had a very generous off of a loaner YS90DX...now THAT's a diving buddy!

Update later tomorrow
Bummer. Sorry to hear that. Might be time to look at that new Inon you've been putting off..... :wink:

Did you try a different brand of battery? I have several problems with the new Energizers batteries. Try Duracell's. Weird I know but there is something different in the base.

Hallmac:
Did you try a different brand of battery? I have several problems with the new Energizers batteries. Try Duracell's. Weird I know but there is something different in the base.

So far all I've tried is rechargeable NiMH batteries, which is what I had in it the last time it was used. I'll get some regular AA alkaline batteries tomorrow to try them. Thanks for the tip!

ReyeR....Beast is ready to believe I've sabataged the old strobe in order to get one of little red beauties!

Dee:
ReyeR....Beast is ready to believe I've sabataged the old strobe in order to get one of little red beauties!
:lol: Hahaha! Beast is on to you....

From the Sea&Sea site it looks like the nearest big dealer is in Colorado, so not eaxctly on your doorstep, but they might know if there is anyone near by to you or be able to offer advice over the phone.

Their details are:
In Depth Camera Repair
731 Colorodo Street
Fort Collins, CO 80524
(970) 224-1071

Back
Top Bottom