Help, my G10 is dying.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
It appears that my G10 is dying. I'm hoping it will last until I return to the USA in November so that I can have it repaired, if possible?

This is what it just started doing, regardless of the shooting mode:

1. When I turn on the camera I sometimes get no display on the monitor other than the settings info. I can display the menu.
If I press the "DISP" button several times I sometimes get a display and other times cannot and have to turn off the camera.

2. When turning the camera back on I sometimes get a monitor display and sometimes not. It may take one or more "on and off" tries to get a display. If not I remove the battery then reinsert it and get a display right away or by cycling the "DISP" button. Coincidence?

3. If I take a photo using the viewer when there is no monitor display I get a black photo.

4. There is no problem with the playback mode when viewing the photos.

5. When I do get a monitor display I sometimes get the below type photos. I have to turn the camera off then back on to get a normal photo, and only if I can get a monitor display. No monitor display no photo.

01.jpg

02.jpg

At first I suspected a heat issue considering I was using it in a hot topside tropical climate here in the Philippines.
I dismissed that theory when the problem still existed in an air conditioned room.
I turned the camera on and off three consecutive times and did not get a monitor display.
Removing the battery worked. Coincidence?

Any idea on what's happening here.

I'm thinking the CCD is on its way out!

Thanks in advance for any expertise.

I would think if you are looking to repair, It should be cheaper to have it repaired in Manila.

Try this guy:

Edward Vizcarra
(02) 9283661
(02) 2320362
0927-8003820

Labor charges in the Philippines are much more reasonable as long as parts are still available.

I have had lenses AF motors fixed for reasonable amount.

If you can buy a new one. You can keep this one as a back-up.

i had a similar problem with my g9.
Had to turn on/off many times before the camera would "wake up".
Eventually it stopped working and i had to replace the lens unit. Cost 150 GBP to fix in the Uk.
Unfortunately the camera was stolen after it was fixed!!!

My G10 got knocked off a table by a friend. Started doing really wierd stuff like yours, but the screen would be all staticky on startup. But same as you, if screen showed garbage, pics were garbage. Turned out to be connections knocked loose. Got it repaired, and good as new.

Gut feel is the CCD is going out. Could be due to just the high humidity there in the Philippines. I second what the guy said about repair in the Phils if you can find someone local. I don't know of anyone in Tagbilaran, maybe Cebu. It's a hassle getting to Manila for that, though. I would not trust the mails for shipping.

Honestly, I think you might be better off to buy a new used one, and get that one repaired when it is more convenient. They are not cheap; G10s stay about $350 for a good one. My guy in Nevada could handle the repair easily, if it is repairable. Canon will charge flat rate unless they claim moisture damage, then it's BER beyond economical repair. This could well be due to condensed humidity. It's a cruel world.

Looks a bit like a problem that's been seen with CCDs stored in high temperatures or humidity in some of Canon's A and S-series cameras. Those are subject to a recall/warranty repair, but I haven't heard anything about G-series cameras having the same detector failure.

If you weren't aware of it, you might also want to consider their customer retention program, where Canon will sell you a refurb with a credit for your dead one. Good for people who already have a housing. I can't quickly find the URL, but it's been posted here on SB before (and within the last few months).

Thanks so far everyone.

I suspect a lens issue as stated by Kevster since I have a monitor display with settings and/or menu but no picture. Logically that means no functioning lens. But logic may not apply :D

bleeb may also be correct with the recall problem due to humidity but the G series cameras are not listed and are therefore not covered.

I will phone Canon USA and discuss it with them and check into the customer retention program that bleeb mentioned.

In the interim I can only keep my fingers crossed the camera will function until I return to the USA in November. I need a second G10 as a backup since I already have a housing. I will check on their availability in Manila where gray market ones may still be around. They are way over-priced in the USA compared to the G11. Bottom line is I may have to get the G12 and new housing in Nov.

This situation is the main reason I don't buy the expensive housings.

The CCD recall is ancient history. Only cameras made before 2005 were affected, and they were all 2-5MP cameras using Sony sensors. Sony had an iodine contaminant in their chip bonding glue which eventually corroded bonding wires on the sensors.

However, sensors still do fail, like any other component. When I see the lines horizontally, that's a sensor address line issue, best guess due to corrosion, but I'm a little baffled that it comes and goes intermittently. It could just be a connector issue, and a tech would clean and reseat the connectors to be sure. But I think you are on borrowed time.

G10s are priced what people are willing to pay. People love them. They seem overpriced because people keep them and the supply of used ones is small. They retain value. It may not make sense, but that's the market at work.

Honestly you get such good results with the G10 that I hope you find another for the housing you already have. I don't think the G12 has anything new other than HD video and HDR, if those matter.

My problem is unsolvable here in the Philippines :depressed:.

1. USA tech support (over the phone) believes it is either the CCD going out or a lens opening issue, the CCD being their best guess.

2. Canon Philippines (Manila) does not have a CCD in stock. I would be looking at the better part of two months for them to get one and repair the camera. That's out of the question, unless I had two cameras, which I don't.

3. I have not been able to find any left-over G10's in the camera shops in the Quiapo section of Manila.

4. I won't pay $800.00 to some blood sucker (individual or company) for a G10 in the USA.

Solution: Get the G10 repaired when I return to the USA in Nov. + buy a G12 and housing so as to have two cameras (and two housings) when traveling to foreign countries. Even though the G12 may not have much improvement over the G10 it will be the name of the game at that point in time. Biggest inconvenience is having two housings. I can, and have to live with that.

MORAL OF THE STORY MY FELLOW SCUBABOARDERS:
Buy two cameras with your housing if you travel, especially if you bought a high end housing :wink:

FWIW, try storing your camera with desicant ( ie Moisture Munchers) and see if that will help improve the performance. When I travel to humid destinations, I will store the camera (when not in its housing) in a Zip Lock bag with the rechargeable discant packs in my A/C'd room. I have been surprised more than once about the "color" change in the desicant. And the camera and housing were completely dry when I removed the camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom