Help, my G10 is dying.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is another thought for those reading this thread:

Not only can your camera die when traveling but so can your strobe. That happened to me last year while in the Philippines.
Your even more screwed with that than with the camera dying as the strobe is harder to replace here.

Soooooo, which backup alternative will take good photos WITH OR WITHOUT a slave strobe.
The Canon S90 and S95. It shoots RAW, has M, Av and Tv capability along with other manual settings and you can use the on-board strobe without getting dark areas on the bottom of the photos due to the strobes inability to reach that area, as with the G10 and G11, due to the length of the lens tunnel on the Canon housings

If I was to buy a camera today with the intentions of not getting a slave strobe I would buy an S95 and Canon housing.
I just finished playing around here with the shop Instructor's S90 and was impressed with the results.

I paid $250 for a (like new) used G10 from a guy on FredMiranda.com back in late June to be used as a backup body for my FIX G10 housing. And then almost immediately I bought a T2i + Nauticam housing. :rofl3:

Perhaps it may be worth it to dismantle it and see if you can tighten/reseat/clean any loose connectors? It seems like it could be an intermittent connection type problem along the CCD signal/control/power path, since it sometimes works and sometimes does not.

Whether that intermittent connection is an actual connector, or a bad PCB, bad solder joint, or shoddy bonding wire in an IC is a different story.. But if the Camera's already dying, it would be hard to make it worse... (Unless it's still under warranty)

While I admire the courage of someone who is willing to take one of these apart, unless you are quite experienced with camera repair, and have the specialized tools and parts, stay out of it. eBay is littered with projects that Mr. Fixit started and could not complete, tearing the flex circuits in the process. In fact I just picked up a G9 like that, and it was a heck of a chore to undo the work of Mr. Fixit.

Again, you can easily destroy these tiny circuits unless you know this craft.

Thanks for the suggestion. You may very well be correct since the problem is intermittent. No, it's not under warranty. It is 18 months old.
However I don't feel confident enough to open it up. I opened one of my old Olympus C4000Z cameras and went whoaaaa :shocked2: parts by the droves. No thanks.

I'll just wait till I get back to the USA in November and send it to Canon. I'll continue to use it until it completely dies. Maybe it will continue to work off and on till I leave.

I'm still missing screws from when I took my G10 apart for fun :wink:

But I'm crazy that way.. something about the nack.

Back
Top Bottom