Help!!! my daughter has lost her mind!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It may be less great if she goes off on this likely ill-fated venture, the stresses and disappointments undermine the marriage, and the marriage falls apart but by then she's produced a child (perhaps a couple?) by this guy. Custody battles, visitation, concerns over the ex.'s significant others impact on the child, etc...

If their business goes bankrupt, wonder what effect that'll have on her over time?

But to me, the biggest victim here may be the child that could come out of it.

If they do go on this venture, it would be fascinating to get an update from the OP in 5 years.

Richard.

Stop it you are making my mind numb with all the speculative fear. Let kids be kids. They are not joining some suicide club.

The problem is they are not kids. They are now adults. Perhaps not ready for the real world responsibilities and the consequences that shall follow their choices, but once you're an adult, the real world is a 'ready or not, here I come' deal.

Richard.

this is interesting reading..

I would just like to point out that the OP only posted to start the thread and in the many weeks of intervening time has not participated in ScubaBoard in any other way. Anyone posting to this thread any more is probably wasting time.

you realize John that quite a few SBers would take that statement as challenge? i would not consider naming anybody by name :)

but i would be curious to hear if the daughter actually has gone to P.R. or not.... i want to go back for a visit and try a dive or two there..

Yes this exactly. Not sure who said it but I have no interest in trolling a diving board and telling sea stories

---------- Post added January 30th, 2014 at 11:23 PM ----------

This is exactly my expected outcome. Remember they haven't lived in same country for a year. They immediately get married(bad idea IMO) the business fails he knocks her up heads to green pastures. I get the dreaded phone call Daddy Im pregnant and divorced. Help! She is lined up to get the PHD hasn't started yet graduates in 2 semesters and will be paid as intern all the time she's getting it. Evidently she can get PHD without the masters. Thats what dean of school said.

Just suggest to her that she do a LOT of research into business law in Puerto Rico so she understands what happens if she takes on debt as part of a partnership and casanova disappears. Do whatever you have to so that she puts everything involving the business into writing with her hubby before she goes. Just because she has a marital relationship doesn't mean she shouldn't protect herself in a business relationship. Otherwise, all you can do is be supportive of her, even if you disagree with the choice she is making. She will likely do it with or without your support. If she has to do it without you, it will make it that much harder on her to reach out to you if or when she does really need your help.

Evidently she can get PHD without the masters. Thats what dean of school said.

In some programs you can start a PhD and at some point opt out at the Masters level, but this is often discouraged by the university.

C

In some programs you can start a PhD and at some point opt out at the Masters level, but this is often discouraged by the university.
violating my own admonition to stop posting in this thread....

In some schools, the graduate program is Ph.D only, with no stopover at the masters level. If they decide after a while that the Ph.D is not in the cards for you, they send you packing with a masters as a consolation prize. I ran into several such schools when I was starting my graduate work and selecting colleges.

Sounds like fun. 72K a year to chase pretty fish in Puerto Rico as a 21 year old... Where does the 72k come from?

Just my opinion but she is an adult accept that or risk no longer having her in your life by driving her away and I don't mean on a map.

Running a dive business I assume is hard work like running any other business. If you get that info what are you going to do with it? Logically convince her? Sometimes people only learn by doing and best to learn some things at 21 before you have a family and responsibilities.

How about wow that sounds exciting and will be very challenging. I love you and sure you will do great.

How about: "Yes a very nice idea!! Major step though, my advice is think about it twice or three times before you decide!
Why not go after you finish your phd? "

Back
Top Bottom