Help!!! my daughter has lost her mind!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed, she's 21 with some kind of a degree presumably. She is no longer your responsibility. She's his. Let him take care of her. If he doesn't hunt him down and make him wish he was never born. Slowly and with great pain.

This was incredibly NOT PC Jim! And not in the spirit of scuba either. This woman is responsible for herself. If she fails, she fails. She is not the responsibility of her "man". Also, a PhD from just about any school is nothing to sneeze at. I'm assuming she either has a bachelor's and is looking at an accelerated PhD or has her master's. Kudos to her.

Now it's time for her to look at reality and see how she will deal with it. At that age I moved to Seattle with my bf and no job. Somehow I survived and have done ok. If I could choose for her I'd choose the PhD path but like someone else here said, you have to make your own decisions and - most importantly - live with the consequences, good or bad (no rescuing from dear old dad, nor does he get the credit if she's wildly successful).

Just make sure the family gets to dive for free!!

Just some history that has nothing to do with diving....

Both our our sons went into businesses for themselves, and both were quite risky. I don't know that I would have done either one if I were in their shoes. Both got their businesses started with parental help with the start up money anyway--they could not have done it otherwise.

All the parental start up funding has been repaid with healthy interest. Both businesses are thriving. All is good.

Ummm. how long has your daughter been in college? Assuming she graduated high schoopl a year early at 17 she would be 21 by the time she finished a 4 year degree, and a freaking genius if in 4 years she finished a PhD. If she is in fact a genius, why are you questioning her decision? If she is not a genius, than you are trolling...and telling sea stories on your first two posts in this board.

My guess is the latter.

I'm with tom. This smells post smells bad from the get go.

PhD doesn't guarantee a great paying job. Assistant professors in tenure track positions make an average of $65,000 a year, if you can even get a job. The competition for those jobs it crazy intense. Too many PhDs, not enough jobs. Unless her PhD is in something like finance, engineering or physics, the degree guarantees nothing.
My husband is just finishing his degree. He wants to be a professor for his "retirement" job. He gave up a really great paying job as an Electrical Engineer to do what he's always wanted to do. However, he feels really lucky that he got a job offer. I think about 1 in 10 get hired for tenure track.

This was incredibly NOT PC Jim! And not in the spirit of scuba either. This woman is responsible for herself. If she fails, she fails. She is not the responsibility of her "man". Also, a PhD from just about any school is nothing to sneeze at. I'm assuming she either has a bachelor's and is looking at an accelerated PhD or has her master's. Kudos to her.

Now it's time for her to look at reality and see how she will deal with it. At that age I moved to Seattle with my bf and no job. Somehow I survived and have done ok. If I could choose for her I'd choose the PhD path but like someone else here said, you have to make your own decisions and - most importantly - live with the consequences, good or bad (no rescuing from dear old dad, nor does he get the credit if she's wildly successful).

Just make sure the family gets to dive for free!!

What does "spirit of scuba" mean?

Here is what I would do:

1. Arrange for internship at a LDS.
2. Pay the LDS owner to make her life miserable. I believe this will happen by itself but ....
3. Create situations where your daughter has to rely on her bf for money.

After the above three if she still wants to do this dive shop / marriage fantasy then she knows what she is doing.

She is going to do what she wants to do however,,,,,,,you dont have to give her the phd resources you set aside for her?????? That should start some rethinking. If it works for her great if not and she comes home in tears the funds are still there to continue her phd.

Your daughter is an adult woman with an education. Let her do whatever she wants. If her plan doesn't work out, she will change it. Diving is a life of itself. I made a living diving. If she is in love then be happy for her and support whatever she tries. She has a lifetime to try things out. Adventure-Ocean

According to the OP's profile, they haven't even logged in since they made this post. New member, only post, not been back to read responses, questionable details in the original post...

smells like.. troll?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom