Help me!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CSD1129

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys,
Living in NJ and doing check-out dives in Dutch Springs Quarry (in PA) I froze in my rental 7mm wetsuit (the water was 48 degrees). So after becoming a certified diver (nearly 3 years ago) I immediately got my dry suit diver certification. Now, I'm 17 years old and heading to college in 2007. I have easier acess to diving now that I can drive/have a car and I'd really like to dive a lot more. However, I've been renting drysuits since 2003. It costs me nearly 100 dollars everytime I go diving (hence why I haven't been doing loads of local diving). I don't think it would make sense for me to buy a drysuit at this time. I hope college takes me to South Florida(Miami!) where I won't be needing a drysuit, but at the same time I'm still here in the North East until August of 2007.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I'm thinking a semi-dry wetsuit might be a good idea but I'm really not sure.

Thanks in advance!
- Christine

Well given what have spent so far do you realize you can get into an Atlan or Oneill Neoprene drysuit for no much more that $500.?

A semi dry will approach that cost.

Pete

Having done quite a bit of diving at Dutch Springs I agree it can be cold. When the water is that cold, before I got my drysuit, I always wore a 2nd piece in addition to my 7 mil. Either a hooded vest of a core warmer can add to your wamth. That gives you 14 mil over your core area instead of just 7 and it makes a huge difference. I dove for 2 years with a 7 mil suit and core warmers before investing in a dry suit and I got in about 100 dives a year that way most in the NE. I have to admit the time I went to Dutch Springs on the last weekend that they were open in the fall I was cold but we still got 2 dives in each day and I was colder with the air temps during SI's than I was when in the water. Give the 2nd piece a try, if you are renting wetsuits then just get a 2 piece one with a farmer john.

thanks for the help! Dutch springs is more cold than I'd like it to be...I'm done with renting wetsuits...I think it's time to invest in a 7mm. The only wetsuit I currently own is an o'neill 3mm for caribbean trips!

Back
Top Bottom