Help me pick a quiet new snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ms. Ann Thrope

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Alas, my beloved 15-year-old, cheap, hard, hot pink Sherwood snorkel is rolling around somewhere near a tuna cannery in Fiji, and it's time to replace it before my next dive trip (note to those with neoprene mask keepers--they stretch out over time!). I've tried my husband's expensive Scuba Pro snorkel and dislike it (so does he) because it sounds like, well, a multi-round shotgun every time you inhale, even on relatively placid surfaces--I think from even minute drops of water or even tiny bits of condensation stuck down around the purge. I don't mind purging or blowing water out of a snorkel's tube if a wave washes over my head (actually soft of enjoy the porpoise-play of it) so semi-dry is usually plenty dry for me, but I don't want it to leak from the bottom, or to always sound (or feel) like it has water in it.

I'm leaning toward the Tusa Platina II. Obviously it's not the most critical piece of dive equipment one can buy, but sometimes I do like to snorkel if I'm not diving, and if I'm going to shell out good money for a plastic tube, I don't want to hate it. Anyone have a nice, quiet, reasonably dry-breathing snorkel they like and recommend?

cheaper is better as far as I am concerned, I've lost 5 or 6 of them in the surf, so I just get the basic tubes with a bottom purge.

Found I like them better as well, as they have less drag

now for free diving and snorkelling I do go for a dry snorkel, I think its a US Divers... but the new Atomics look really cool as does the Oceanic Ultra Dry

I have the Oceanic Ultra Dry and I havent had any problems with it. Easy breathing and clearing. Just a bit of water from mouth end when under water. One quick breath and it is cleared. Just my two cents.

Greetings Ms. Ann Thrope from here in rainy Indiana! 5- 6 inches in 48 hours! I might have to use my snorkel to get to work! Ha! Ha! Any way, I have been using a Tunsa Imprex II Hyperdry for about $35 I have loved it. It has accompanied me to Mexico, Lake Huron, and many local lake / quarry dives. I personally use a snorkel a lot just because I like it. I enjoy comfortable surface swims and playing without scuba gear. It is a relaxing way to enjoy the water! The best way to find a new one is to dive as many as you can. Call your buddies or local dive club and see if you can have a trial day at the local dive spot. Finding a snorkel can also help you get involved with local divers. That is a awesome thing indeed! Have fun and good luck with your search. CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I also like the Tusa Imprex II hyperdry. It is pretty basic and reasonably priced. You can get it at most LDS for $35 or about $18 online if you like to buy online. Anyways if Cam likes it, it must be great!!

Thanks for the fast replies, and I'd love to hear more. I'll probably be out at a local site in a couple of weeks to fun-dive and hang out, and I'll certainly ask around there, too, but it's nice to get a broader response. And since it's one of those things that potentially gets spit into often, it's not something you want to presume to ask to borrow to try out, except with very good friends.

One thing about many snorkels is that they leak.... The 2 ends of the flex hose and mouthpiece are not really that watertight. If you install 3 tie wraps just as you would for a regulator mouthpiece you can tighten these joints up and cut down on the gurgling. It may also keep it from blowing apart if you get slammed by the surf.

Pete

I think my husband complained his last flexie snorkel got a hole in the flex part--he uses them harder than a lot of divers, including me, but still... And I'm noticing there are fewer and fewer rigid snorkels on the market, at least within the mainstream brands. I was on eBay a while ago and noticed some off-brand Asian imports that are still old-style--one even had LED lights at the top of the tube. Not sure I'd trust them to not flood at depth, but certainly intriguing for evenings on the reef!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom