Help Me Decide if the travel expense is worth it.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to know where you get such deals because I've found Business class to be triple the fare, often $4000 or more on international flights. For about $200 in perks.
I do an advanced search for flights, using multiple airports and flexible travel dates.

Most often I can find a domestic business class seat at a good price from one airport that's not much more expensive than an economy ticket from a different airport, if you factor in the baggage fees for economy and the "extra leg room" upgrades.

Too many people seem to focus on the dollar value of perks, but they neglect the intangible advantages. Like the refreshment of getting a shower and changing clothes on a layover after a 19 hour flight before another 7 hours of travel. Like arriving at the destination fresh and rested. Like sitting in a quiet lounge in a big comfortable chair, away from the noise and crowds, with all the food and refreshments you want at your finger tips. Like sitting for 19 hours in a seat twice as big as an economy seat in your own private pod, with the option to lay back flat whenever you want.

I've made many trips halfway around the world, both in economy and business class. The difference in the experiences is something you should try.

The cheapest I have seen a business class ticket across the pacific in April/May has been about $4000 and that is quite rare, and if you find it, grab it. Most are $5500-$6K+ on a good day and for business heavy sectors it can be $8K+ holding steady to departure. To contrast, I was just looking at seats to Dubai in business class and I have seen them as low as $3300 and they have been holding that price with various airlines (Air France, Turkish, KLM). That is considered a low price for business, especially given the distance.

While I travel in the pointy end of the airplane as often as I can, I almost never pay retail for it and finagle it with upgrades (cash and/or with instruments such as mileage or points) or I stalk the fares and change. I will admit as I get older, doing a 16 hour jaunt across the Pacific gets more difficult each time in economy. The cost of domestic business class travel in the US is incomparable in price when departing from SFO as well as amenities of a long haul unless you are talking about a widebody being used that also happens to service long haul, then the hard product is the same. (As an example, this happens when flying UA from SFO to Denver, you'll get a United economy, economy plus, premium plus, and full on Polaris layout.) If you are including the soft product (service, food) then the foreign carriers are next level going over the Pacific and often priced lower than the north american carrier options for the same class. I prefer to travel with them.

Not sure where people are going to or from that have a choice of airports but certainly not my destinations. And I prefer the tangible of dollars, thousands of dollars. Most of the niceties can be purchased for a tiny fraction of the cost difference for Business. Lounge access can be bought. Lots of decent food and beverages at airport restaurants. Some airports have airside hotels where you could get a room with a private shower and bed for under $200. When I fly overseas on Turkish or EVA I get fed several meals, more than I can even eat. With all the money I save I can spend several more nights at my destination and really be refreshed before diving.

Went to Sharm last month and by flying economy over business I saved enough to pay for an entire two week vacation in the Caribbean. No matter which seat you're in, flying is not fun. I'd rather suck it up for a 13 hour flight tan spend thousands in a futile attempt to make it less burdensome. We don't all fly every month for work.

Never met her and no intention to get one. LOL.
Wise - more money for diving, too! :)
Not sure where people are going to or from that have a choice of airports but certainly not my destinations. And I prefer the tangible of dollars, thousands of dollars. Most of the niceties can be purchased for a tiny fraction of the cost difference for Business. Lounge access can be bought. Lots of decent food and beverages at airport restaurants. Some airports have airside hotels where you could get a room with a private shower and bed for under $200. When I fly overseas on Turkish or EVA I get fed several meals, more than I can even eat. With all the money I save I can spend several more nights at my destination and really be refreshed before diving.

Went to Sharm last month and by flying economy over business I saved enough to pay for an entire two week vacation in the Caribbean. No matter which seat you're in, flying is not fun. I'd rather suck it up for a 13 hour flight tan spend thousands in a futile attempt to make it less burdensome. We don't all fly every month for work.
Opportunity cost is a big thing and that aside, everyone's budgets and priorities are also different. A $1,000 ticket in economy vs a $5000+ ticket in business to the same destination leaves $4000+ back in your pocket for other things....That can be weeks of guided boat diving with nitrox with full board in some places. Or you can just save it! Many travel credit cards include lounge access via membership through something like Priority Pass. But flying premium can be done if you're savvy and use the right tools. It isn't for everyone, because it can sometimes be a lot of work to get the deals.

I am lucky in that I live near 3 large international airports (San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland) and have access to inexpensive tickets up and down the west with a variety of carriers (San Diego, Los Angeles, Seattle, Portland, Vancouver). For some larger countries, it's possible to fly into a specific international airport and then connect with a local domestic ticket. (I often do this with Indonesia - between Manado, Jakarta, Bali.) I recently booked a ticket to Jakarta round trip because flying to Bali was almost 2X the price, even in economy....But a local ticket between Jakarta and Bali was only $70 USD each way and with my excess baggage, about $100.

Opportunity cost is everything. If I made a million dollars a year I don't think I could pay $4000 more for a slightly bigger seat and a few perks. I've never known anyone to describe their 24 hour journey to an overseas destination as "enjoyable" no matter what seat they bought. If I'm old and broken enough for it to make that much of a difference then I'm old and broken enough to get Special Assistance and be whisked through the airport on a cart and boarded before Business class. :cool:

The diving season for Tubattaha is very short, mid Mar to mid June, because of weather. And we all know weather is unpredictable so Mar and June is to be avoided. The place is very isolated and the land mass offers no protection from the wind so you are at the mercy of the nature.
I have been to Philippines many times whole year round and realized when we have cold front hitting HK then certain area in Philippines will also be affected.
NE Monsoon(Amihan).
Another thing to worry about from late May onward is TYPHOON.
Choose a big boat.

Finally, the Reefs is huge and there is NO guarantee on what you may come across. Keep an open mind.

If I'm old and broken enough for it to make that much of a difference then I'm old and broken enough to get Special Assistance and be whisked through the airport on a cart and boarded before Business class. :cool:
Still not worth it, 4 flights with Emirates for my wife in 'business class' [while I was with the unwashed 'cattle class'] the last 5 weeks, cost an extra AU $11,000, long flights though, 14.5 hours to Dubai-7.5 hours to Athens, Buenos Aires to Dubai 18.5 hours- Dubai to Brisbane 14.5 hours.
Now my wife needs special assistance due to a serious medical condition, the Emirates lounge in Dubai forgot about her and after her having to call out for help she just made the flight to Athens, last on, so much for business class.
I have put in a claim with Emirates, let's see how that goes.:rant:

Still not worth it, 4 flights with Emirates for my wife in 'business class' [while I was with the unwashed 'cattle class'] the last 5 weeks, cost an extra AU $11,000, long flights though, 14.5 hours to Dubai-7.5 hours to Athens, Buenos Aires to Dubai 18.5 hours- Dubai to Brisbane 14.5 hours.
Now my wife needs special assistance due to a serious medical condition, the Emirates lounge in Dubai forgot about her and after her having to call out for help she just made the flight to Athens, last on, so much for business class.
Wow!
Good luck for the claim.

What is the claim for? Did she lose her seat? Those are some serious flights!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom