Help me choose between Seiko and Citizen Watch, please! Questions for watch lovers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harliquinnn

Registered
Reaction score
So after doing some painstaking research, I was able to limit my watch-search to two brands. I decided to get my father either one of the Seiko Monsters or one of the Citizen watches (Eco-Drive?)

Here are a few considerations and the help that I need and the questions that I'm asking about. All help is appreciated and especially with links.

1) I need something under $400, but it can be right around there
2) Something that will be nice enough to wear everyday, and won't be cheap/flimsy looking
3) My father is not currently a watch collector, but should he choose to become one, I would want this piece to not be a shameful one to start his collection with
4) Why is the "Orange Monster" so sought after? What makes it better than the black? the blue? Just the look or is it some special collector's thing?
5) I heard that some watches connect to the computer- does either Seiko or Citizen do that?
6) As this is a sentimental birthday present, is either company more "prestigious" in the diver world than the other?
7) What are the warranties like?
8) For the Citizen-enthusiasts- which Citizen model do you recommend and please be precise.
9) Finally, any specific place to look?- I have until the 18th

Thank you so much!!!

I have a Citizen Hyper Aqualand and really like it. I don't have a computer and don't know much about dive watches but my wife bought mine from E-Bay 2 years ago for approx $140.00. It is silver/gold color w/ a black rubber watch band. It changes from clock to dive watch at 1 foot underwater. It keeps running dive time and depth during dive. After dive, it shows dive length, time in water, time out of water, max depth, avg depth and water temp. It comes with a "dock" to put watch in to download to computer. I don't have the cable so I have not tried it. I really like it and it is a good looking watch.

It really only comes down to brand preference, although as a watch collector I've owned and still own many Seikos, but not one Citizen. They both make watches of varying quality and you more or less get what you pay for. Seiko also make some very expensive and high quality watches and I'd consider them the more "collectible" and respected brand in general than Citizen. Which is not to say that there is anything wrong with Citizen.

I would say that the attraction to the seiko "Orange Monster" is that its a lot of watch for the money. For a start it has an automatic movement, not quartz. To many collectors (myself included) the fascination with automatic mechanical watches lies in the fact that they are tiny precision machines, as opposed to an electronic thing you strap to your wrist that tells time. All you have to do to keep it running is wear it, no batteries needed. There is nothing wrong with quartz watches either, but that sums up the difference. The finest and most expensive Swiss watches are almost always automatic/mechanical.

For that reason, someone starting off collecting automatic watches might be drawn to the Orange Monster. It also has a solid bracelet, which IMO is equal in quality to some watches that cost 10x more. It really is incredibly well made. Personally though, I think they are ugly, I owned one and sold it not long after. You also feel like a 15 year old watch nerd wearing one, at least I did! For the price though, $150ish, you get an auto with a solid bracelet, the rest of the watch is pretty good quality too. I wouldn't go thinking that it is some rare collectible beast though (although they did make some special limited editions, but thats another story).

Seeing its for your father I'd be inclined to go for something a bit more classy/conservative and $400 or so will get you a damn fine watch. I would definitely get an automatic, for the reasons I mentioned above, it will last a lifetime if looked after. Style is really an individual thing, but if you are looking for a classy watch, that is well made, with a great solid bracelet, and a decent size that will have a nice presence on the wrist, I would look at something like the Seiko "Sumo" over the monster, which I gather is the sort of watch you are looking for. Do a search for the model SBDC001, the best prices you'll probably find are from Asian sellers on ebay. I've bought many from there, service has always been exceptional and if they specify FAST, they usually mean it. You've obviously done some research but there are some great watch forums out there that are the source of more information than you will possibly ever need! Watchuseek.com is the best of them IMO.

A watch is a great present (I've just bought one for my dad for xmas by the way) and will be something he can appreciate for years and years. Warrantys are probably pretty much the same, although I've never had to find out. There is not much that will go wrong with a well made watch. Good luck deciding on which one to get!

This will probably turn into another "you don't need a watch, only old people wear a watch, get a computer" thread but here goes.

The thing about the Orange Monster is just that orange faced dive watches have been a "thing" since the 60s along with other safety orange equipment that used to be available. They are highly visible and easy to see underwater. The black faced Monster is just as nice and I like it every bit as much and for more formal wear it might be prefered. The Monster is a fully mechanical watch, it is an Automatic self winding watch. That means there is a pendulum in it that swings during "life" activities which winds a main spring. The automatic type watch really needs to be worn every day or it will wind down. This hurts nothing other than you will have to reset it if that happens. I enjoy my Monster and I have to say of all the waches I have ever had it gets the most attention and occasionally like a few weeks ago standing in line at the movies a 20 something points it out and says "cool Monster." There are not many around either.

I also like the Citizen Eco Drive Aqualand watches as a smart looking dive watch that is very functional. For pure functionality I would toss the nod to the Citizen. For everything else I like the Seiko, it is the purr of the pendulum maybe or the weight of the thing or maybe it's glarring orange face or the knowledge that it might live beyond me that is it's attraction. They are both relatively inexpensive watches.

DSCF0042.jpg

Over styling becomes dated, I am afraid certain gee whiz aspects of some of the Aqualands might date them 10 years from now. Just as digital watches and velcro tennis shoes are kinda nerdy now as cool as they were when they first came out.

N

I have both the black and orange monster (black with SS band and orange with rubber) and find myself wearing the orange more and more. I also own a Ti Citizen Promaster (NY0054) dive watch that I actually wear in the water. All are automatic.

The monster certainly has a very aggressive look over some of the more subtle dive watches. The Ti has a tendency to look very 'flat' and understated, the direct opposite from the orange monster. Also much lighter of course. The monsters really are a heavy watch and you really know you're wearing a watch when you have on strapped to your wrist :)

Given that watches should reflect a persons individual style, I would say it's important to figure out what would be a priority to your dad.

Thanks so much for the picture! Seeing it on an arm is great.

Will the Seiko work well with a dry suit?

Thanks so much for the picture! Seeing it on an arm is great.

Will the Seiko work well with a dry suit?

Most watches do not work well with a dry suit. I use 2 long strips of velcro on my Citizen to make it reach around my forearm. That does prevent me from wearing it day to day.

Oh well, he dives with a computer anyway- he'll have to save the watch for the warm dives. Thanks!

Do you have a picture of the black monster on your arm too, by any chance? :)

The other option though it can be a pain is to just get an extra band that will fit on a dry suit. The stainless bands even if you could get one big enough might be a little hard on the seals. I have a Pulsar(Made by seiko) Divers 200M. It is solar powered. I've had it 3 yrs now and in everything from 95 degree fresh water to 38 degree fresh and 84-54 degree salt and never had a problem with it. It has a rubber band as opposed to stainless, which for me are just not comfortable, and I'm ok wearing it diving and with a three piece suit. Just found this on ebay.NEW SEIKO SNM037 AUTOMATIC 200M MEN'S DIVE WATCH - (eBay item 290189341908 end time Dec-12-07 11:55:22 PST)

Back
Top Bottom