Help! Looking for a place to do DM training in or around Phuket..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Titanite

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,
I am planning on heading to Thailand in February 2008 and would like to start my Dive Master training in March. I am traveling with my lady so I am looking for somewhere that would be easy for her to look around and do cheap touristy type stuff and still have some great diving to keep me entertained for the 4 weeks or so to complete my training. Thats why I was thinking Phuket? (comments?) Also looking for recommendations for great dive shops to do the training under, and why were they great?? Any recommendations on reasonably priced accomodations for a longer stay ( a month or more) would be greatly appreciated.

I have had some info sent from Buddah View Dive resort and Phuket scuba club, does anyone have any experience with them and could make comments, recommendations or warnings?

Thank you very much
T.

Buddha View is on Koh Tao for starters, they're one of the two biggest DC's on Koh Tao, at nay given time they porbably have at least 20 DMT's.

If you travel with your non-diving partner, Koh Tao may not be the best choice, Phuket or Koh Samui have more non-diving options, even Pattaya for that matter, although weather and dive conditions may be better in Phuket, Kao Lak and Krabi during that time frame.

Phuket Scuba dive club is Ringo's DC, isn't it? It's a small and nice shop located on Kata beach with lots of personal attention. Rather the opposite of big DC's like Buddha View.

What do you prefer yourself? A big shop or rather a smaller outfit with more personal attention?

I was also referred to Phuket Scuba Club by several different sources for my Rescue cert. Contact me after I get back (December 1) and I'll give you a first hand opinion.

Oh, and they said they would provide rescue "partners" for me by sending their DMTs through again! :)

Agree with Limbo that Phuket or Samui seems better suited than Koh Tao.

On Phuket you will find many DC's, some big, some small, some professional, some amateuristic IMO. And: big and professional do not always go hand in hand, neither do small and amateuristic.

I would look at Kata Beach, because it is nice and relaxed, good choice of hotelsd and bars, and also suitable for your lady. Plus: at Kata Beach you will be able to some quick and nice diving as well from the beach.

I would strongly recommend the PSC; they are a small outfit, but have been there 10 yrs, which says something.

Kev and Chantal are good people and will look after you, Kata is a really nice place to live/work/train and relax, you could do a lot worse. They also have an extensive network, so you can do lots of trips and trg, the limit is your budget and/or imagination.

Their DM's are good fun too, especially that dodgy Scottish git.....

Thank you everyone for your replies! I really appreciate it! TaxGeek, please msg me when you return, would love to hear about it.
Thanks
T.

I personally witnessed Phuket Scuba Club's training several times last year and would definitely recommend them for your training.

Back
Top Bottom