*help* looking best island in Thailand to dive in end of septhember

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi , It's my first time to plan dives in Thailand .. Mind to share in this end of septhember which island are the best for diving ?? I just know that koh Tao , Phuket ,phi phi and krabi ... But anyone know how is the visibility of those island ? It's still clear in this month ? I need some opinion from all divers here ...thx ya ...

IMO the best diving you'll find year round in the Andaman Sea, so Phi Phi, Phuket, Ao Nang, Koh Lanta. Time of year really does not effect the visibility, which will at most divesites be unpredictable.

Koh Tao has great conditions for the last 1 week, right now 20m+ viz, 30-29C temp, no whale sharks or bull sharks yet, they should arrive in a few weeks when the conditions change.

In September you will be better off going to the Gulf of Thailand IMO and the best island to base yourself for diving is Koh Tao - most of the dive sites are closer from there.

A minor point, Krabi is an island.

---------- Post added September 8th, 2013 at 03:25 PM ----------

Sorry, that of course should have been, Krabi is not an island.

Disagree with the last post, any time of year the Andaman Sea will offer better diving: more variety, better corals, more marine life.

Koh Tao is a nice island with an excellent vibe, and a good place to do an open water course.

In my opinion, sea conditions are an important consideration, especially for a new diver (if your profile is accurate in listing you have fewer than 25 dives). In September and October, the Andaman Sea region often experiences significant seas caused by a combination of the monsoon winds coming in from the west over the Indian Ocean and from the rainstorms that are frequent at this time of year. The islands in the Gulf of Thailand get some relief from the wind at this time of year since the mainland landmass interrupts the flow over the water. If you are prone to seasickness, this might influence your choice.

I agree with Steven, the diving in the Andaman is far better year round, I have been to KT several times and am not really impressed, yes there are a couple of very good dive sites, but with the experience level of the OP any of these sites should be ruled off limits.
If crowded dive boats full of hungover backpackers looking for cheap open water courses is what you are looking for then maybe KT could be suitable for you, we are all different in our requirements and as I said before, personally I am unimpressed with KT either as a dive location or a resort, and have no plans to return there.

Back
Top Bottom