Help Leaking Air Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

~Scuba_Steve~

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello I ned a little info, about three weeks ago my air trim started to leak around the inflate or deflate button. My LDS (without me in it) replaced the o-rings in the inflate part, and we thought that we fixed the problem. Last weekend at Fatasy Lake in NC (I live in central Texas) it started to leak again but this time instead of a slow leak it started to leak faster and with less air in it, it will not leak if I inflate it enough to keep me above water, but if I fill er up before the popet valve releases it will leak (this was not a problem when I purchased this new, and my dive buddies doesn't do this either). When the problem started it would only do it if I inflated it all the way then less and less and it only seems to do this when I am wearing the BC (Vector 1000 air trim). All of the o-rings looked good when the dive shop puled it all apart not to sure about the bottom deflate vale only the nipple part was taken apart as the rest would not come out, it seamed to be in there real tight or stuck and I do not want to take this apart and destroy something. This seamed to be where it was leaking from, but again not to sure about this. The air trim has no cracks in it that I can see and will not leak unless I am wearing it. Is this something that is normal? If I have to have this replaced will the parts be on hand or will my LDS or one here localy (Neport News VA) be able to replace this item, as I will be here for about three more weeks and was planning on diving on the weekends. I do have my warrenty card. Thank you for your time.

Steve Courtemanche

Steve,

Your BCD should not leak. So I will say this is not normal. Fortunately the airtrim technology is not very complicated or parts intensive. I would suggest you call around and find a good service center near where you are staying. One that is familiar with this technology and is confident they can repair / service it. It doesn't sound like the store you originally took it to knew how to service it, or I am not understanding you clearly. It is hard to say if they will have the parts in stock (they can be ordered) this should be a question you ask before taking it in. There is a manual, and they can also call our service tech for assistance.

If this is a warranty (2yrs) issue, we will provide the service at n/c however the BC will need to be sent to our service center in Baltimore MD. If this is something you want to do, the store will need an RA # to send it back. Let me know and I'll try to help expedite the turn around of the BC. You will most likely be out of a bc for at least 1 weekend, due to shipping time.

I hope this helps, let me know if there is anything I can do.

Zak

Below is a response from a LDS in the area that is a dealer for Mares I have my warrenty card but not a reciept? Below this is my response , still waiting for a reply? I would have replied to the thread but it will only show a blank page whenever I respond.

This is from the local LDS
The way I read this,
(LDS) did they or did they not take the whole unit apart? It sounds like
they did not. Are they a dealer for Mares ?
Do they have the drawings of the unit to see how it works and how it needs
to be serviced ?
I would have to look at the unit to see whats wrong.
Where did you buy the unit ? Why didn't they solve your problem ? You wound
need proof of purchase and warr card for this unit to be serviced under any
type of warr.
We are open Mon-Fri 9am-8pm Sat 9am-7pm abd Sun 9am-5pm
You need to talk to Joe (That is me)
422-3483
Dive Quarters Inc.
1725 Laskin Rd Hilltop Plaza Unit 515
Virginia Beach Va 23454
Directions for Newport News
take 264 towards Virginia Beach
get off Laskin Rd (only 1 exit)
we are down 4 lights right hand side (behind the outback)
I will be here Tues 18 until 8pm, Wed 9am-5pm, Sat 9am-7pm and Sun 9am-5pm
thanks
Joe

This was my reply
I am from Texas Killeen Ft Hood area. My LDS replaced just the infater o-rings (the top one grey, not the yellow). they did not take apart the whole airtrim. I have my waranty card and should be registered with mares as I also filled out the paperwork and mailed it in. I purchased said BC at the begining of June of this year. As for the reciept, no I do not have that. And yes my LDS is and authorized Mares dealer.

Steve Courtemanche

Steve,

I have responded to your PM. We will take care of you despite not having the receipt. If you sent in your paperwork, and purchased the product from an authorized Mares dealer, you are fine.

Note to all who view this. It is always best to save your receipt for proof of purchase. Even for scuba gear, you never know when your going to need it.

Sincerely,

Thanks Zak, I will wait to see what the LDS has to say. I have the reciept for all of the gear that I purchased...........but I didn't think that I would need to travel with said reciept, considering I have the warrenty card and should be registered with Mares, by filling out the proper paperwork? I can produce a reciept when I get back to Ft Hood on the 11th if it is realy needed. :D

Steve Courtemanche

Great Steve,
I wouldn't travel w/ my receipts either. LOL.
Please let me know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Sincerely,

Thanks Zac. I may call you tonight after work or tommorrow durring a break. I plan on diving Fantasy lake this weekend my dive buddy is a Dive-Con and it will not leak if I put enough air in it to remain boyant. I may just wait to send it back or have my LDS fix it when I get back to Texas. I am scheduled to take a Stress and Rescue course the week I get back so I may use a rented BC. I have one question does the dump button (yellow) fully come apart or just the plunger (center piece) part? It seams that the larger part is stuck in there and this may be the problem is there a trick to geting this out to check the o-rings. and should they be all dry with no silicone or should they have silicone on them?

Steve Courtemanche

Hey Zak I took the BC over to Dive Headquarters in VA Beach to Joe. He looked at it and it seemed to be leaking from around the base (The big o-ring) so he took it apart and the screw on casing didn't seem to be tight enough? Joe cleaned it up and the o-ring was still good. The rest was taken apart all but the deflate sleeve witch again would not come out, but the rest of the o-rings were replaced, he was not able to get the casing tight as it needs to be lined up for the inflater tube, but it seems to be fixed.........................(no bubbles). I guesse I will find out this weekend.

Steve Courtemanche

Hey Zak here is an update to my BC issue. I took the BC into the LDS in Vaginia Dive HQ they looked at it found it to be leaking around the base from underneath the white insert peice. They took it completly apart replaced all of the o-rings throughout the air trim part inflated it held it under the water in the tank no leaks........ I went to Lake Rawlings the next weekend and it leaked all over the place it seems to do this only when I am wearing it? I finally made it back from Ft Eustis back to Ft Hood texas were I live. I took it back to the LDS here where I purchased the BC @ Scuba Divers Paridise 4600 Simmons Rd Belton Tx 76513. I droped it off with Edwin on Sunday and he called Thursday saying that it was fixed I went out there to look at it he said he replaced all of the o-rings and it was good. I explained about the last time it was fixed agian and he said they didn't use white grease with the o-rings(I had the impresion that he wasn't happy about someone else looking at it)? Anyway I pulled my Tank out and regs to make sure and jumped into the water. Sure enough it leaks agian it did not leak when held under water and it held air for over three hours he said (I think he was amazed, lol). The bottom line is this. After many band aids and pressure dressings, it it is enrought to Head USA Mares-Dacor Diving Service 1041-A Swan Creek Dr. Baltimore MD 21226 with an RA 0f 5160084681 for major surgery, lol. Edwin said that I had to mail it back, with a return address back to him and he needs me to give him the insurance reciept with the Ra # written on it? I didn't want to argue with him as he is my only LDS in the area that is SSI so I ended up mailing it back proirity mail this afternoon, and insured it for a value of $500. The guy at the counter said that it should be there around Monday afternoon. The ony other question that I have is generally how long will it take to get fixed and returned.

Thank you for your time
Steve Courtemanche

Ok, what a weird deal with the bc. I am forwarding this to our service tech and he should be able to look at it promptly. Normally I would say 2 weeks to be safe. I'll let you know if there will be any hang ups. Thanks for hanging in there with a good attitutde.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom