Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I usually boat dive. She puts her Equipment on (and takes it off) in the water. Even when there are 6-8 ft waves. Maybe shore would complicate this if there was big surf, but if it's fairly calm this may be an option.
We did a cavern dive on our last trip, the entrance was probably 100 yards from where we parked.Then a spiral staircase and a wooden walkway. She carried the camera and our fins. I put on my gear and carried hers. Aren't there any other gentleman divers out there that would be kind enough to help you get near the water. Or do you want to do it yourself?

Hi Chepar,

I know how you feel. I've never dove in Hawaii, but if its like
Guam (and I think it probably is), on shore dives you are trying to balance yourself, while tripping over rocks and falling into holes, and trying to fight the surge...all in 2-3 ft of water. Talk about a pain!

I'm 5'2", 135lbs and normally dive with a compact 80. I've learned that entries are easier by dragging my inflated BC behind me until getting past the breakers. Exits, I let the surge take me as close to the shore as possible, and crawl if I have to (nothing wrong with that!). Sometimes, if it is a long walk to the car, its easier to take the first stage off the tank, and carry the whole thing by the valve.

You do actually develop your back muscles after a while..which I didn't realize until I did my first beach after a year of boat diving...thought I was going to die!

A good fitting BC does help. Also, you may want to think about switching to a smaller tank for shallower dives. I use a C60 for beach dives now...and the difference is amazing!

Don't kill yourself!

One of my favorite local shore dives is on a wreck called the Madiera. It has a long, fairly steep dirt and rock path through the woods and eventually comes out onto L. Superior. You have to hike it down the hill and back up again. My buddies and I make 2-3 trips to get all the gear down to our staging area.

There are 2 thoughts: one can set up their kit at the top and put it on and carry it that way, or one can piece-meal it down the hill carrying individual pieces. Same thought on the way up. I find it easier to lose the weight and carry the tank and BC on the back and come back for the weight and various other equipment.

I like the "try a friend's doubles" before your single; man is that a challenge. I've done it, they are heavy, felt like I was going to tip backward all the time while on land.

Cheers :)

Originally posted by BadFish
arggghhhhh.......

brings back memories from shaw's cove..........oh i hate those stairs....all the way up the cliff, dragging 15 each pounds of water in my wetsuit........

Think good thoughts....think happy thoughts..... :boom:

Been there, done that..There isn't enough beer or money in the state of California to get me to dive Laguna. :puke:

What size tank were you using? I did some diving on Oahu last August and I noticed they don't offer much to women. I had to fight for 63's every dive.

I'm 5'4 and 130 and never dive with anything larger than a 63. I find even on deeper dives, I do just as well (often better) on air than those with larger tanks. In fact, I can do better than I used to do with an 80 because I'm not dragging as much through the water.

At one point, I refused to do shore dives because of all the weight of the gear. You will get more used to it. And if you get your own gear, and dive with 63's, it will get even easier.

Yes, it does get easier over time... well dives. Everyone one's been doing a great job responding to that. I just did my first shore dive in a long long time with more gear and longer walk than I'm use to. Got back to the tables (quarry) after the second dive, I was breathing pretty hard and these old guys are still walking around in gear like they forgot to take off their doubles!!

Hey Cheper don't feel bad because we've all done that at one time or another. My advice would be not to walk so far with all that equipment on, see if you could suit up alittle closer to the enterance point of the shore dive. And when your done don't walk any further then you have to with that stuff, as soon as you can have someone help you out of your BC and take that weight belt off.

Chillywill

maybe next time get your gear to the shore first and then suit up there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom